Chapter 32

Ready with your popcorn and coke?

VANSHIKA

And that moment in rage and anger I stepped out of the house and took the first bus back to Madikeri. I didn't care to even look back and see that a crying Luv who begged me time and again asking me to stay back but I was blinded by anger, years of pent up frustration and above all desperation for being with the man whom I was in love.

But he...wasn't.

Flashback ends...

I felt a squeeze on my palm as I shut my eyes close and many drops of tears rolled down my cheeks and a few fell on the hand that squeezed the back of my palm lying helplessly on the table.

I opened my eyes and saw a teary Luv shaking her head trying hard to not cry. I had a lump in my throat but I managed to whisper

'Sorry Luv!!! Sorry for using those words-' but before I could complete the statement she covered my mouth with her palm shaking her head but I held her hand saying

'I know that incident was the reason you shifted permanently to Mumbai. Bought your own home. I kind of separated you from the family na? My vicious words were so hurtful!!!' I whispered when she shook her head saying

'No Shiku!!! Please No!!! In fact we all should be sorry for what we did to you. You were also a kid and yes you made a mistake when you were 12 but our family should have dealt with it more sensitively. If you pushed me into the backwaters, you should have been taught a lesson by trying to school you and not to send you to a faraway school practically. I am not a person who is against kids going to boarding school. It brings discipline in kids but if parents can teach and explain kids, give them a better understanding of right and wrong, we don't need such disciplinary organizations at all.

You know what Shiku!!! I can't blame mom dad or Daadu for this decision. I should have kept asking them to get you back. But initially what was a one year punishment turned to become a usual thing for everyone. Seventh then Eighth then Ninth...you even did your pre university there. We all assumed you got adjusted there. Mom kept fighting with dad every other day for separating her daughter away from her for an year but when we saw a matured Shika during summer vacations is when Mom was also convinced that you are happy there. None of us knew the anger seeping within you baby!!!! Believe me' Luv said when suddenly we heard someone say

'So you guys just get the license to let things continue because you folks 'assume' she got 'adjusted'? Is that how the great Khannas deal with their children?' and I turned around to see a Karthik who had his jaws tightened as he counter questioned Luv. I was shocked. His tone was clearly venting out his anger and frustration.

'No Karthik Jiju... believe me that's not how our family treats us!!! They never did anything on purpose...it is rather the time and situation that caused all this!!!' Luv said when Karthik dryly chuckled and said

'You know what Lavanya ji...A lot of other situations could have been avoided if only your family dealt with my Shiku a little more softly. I am not saying I'm against discipline but sometimes a child needs a hug and a heart to heart talk to just tell them what went wrong. I am not saying the way Shika behaved with your entire family is right but your family has let her down too many times. She was lonely and young and stupid...she thought she was going to her safe place. She thought she was going to the man whose love she didn't have to share and whose only priority was her. But little did she knew his love was as cheap as a reusable plastic bottle, gets recycled everyday!!!

Shika was wrong but Khannas who disowned her later weren't right either!!!' Karthik announced loud and clear as my teary eyes met his angry eyes. And he said it again. This was the point he kept telling me since I shared my past with him the first time on that Surathkal beach but I was shocked seeing him openly tell that to my sister without any fear. Karthik was my only cheer leader. He told me where I went wrong but he didn't abandon me after knowing my truth instead our relationship grew deeper. So much so that I found a family away from family.