Chapter 43

KARTHIK

'Karthik...is everything alright? You want to say something?' Neil Sir asked me. It had been two weeks since I came back to Mangalore. I had indulged myself in work. I had lied to Shika about the Australian work trip and was worried if she came back to Mangalore and found me still here, so I even shuffled some teammate's work calendars and went to Sydney instead of him to attend the meeting with our new client. However when I got to know that Shika never came back home I was shocked. But what left me speechless was when I got to know that she has resigned from her job. And today morning some broker came to see her house. Looks like he was asked to put up her house for rent.

That made me even more curious!!!
Isn't she going to come back here?
Or
Did the Nayaks succeed in taking her away from me as well???

I was going mad. I was not able to work properly. I think I need some break. Maybe I should have accepted the job offer from the SIN Group and actually settled down in Australia. Away from all of this. It's a great opportunity. Financially as well as personally. Even mom wouldn't need to do the catering services. She is also getting older. She needs rest too.

With my mind going places I finally decided to talk to my boss. He was also a Nayak but different from all others. He was understanding and never treated me wrong. However I didn't want to work for him because he was Shankar's brother and if Shika accepted the proposal which her grandfather will definitely make her do...No!!! I can't face her. I don't have it in me to see her as someone else's...

'Karthik???' Neil Sir shook my shoulder lightly and I was out of my reverie.

'Ummm Sir...can you please offboard me from the current hotel project please?' I requested him and he was shocked.

'Karthik...you aren't like an associate. You head the HR team in my organization. What do you mean by off-boarding you? You do know the importance of your position right?' Neil Sir asked me in a threatening tone and I looked elsewhere. He is such a good man.

'Neil...!!! Mr Karthik!!!' I heard Avanthi's voice who offered us orange juice which I politely denied. She looked at me sadly and passed me a small smile. I knew she didn't like me much but today the pity in her eyes is something I could never tolerate in anyone's eyes. I am not a charity case. I huffed and answered Sir immediately as she stepped away

'Because I need it Sir.' And he didn't like my answer.

'Karthik this is stupid. You want me to bring in a HR Director of your level for some time? You've got to be kidding me!!!'

'Sir plea-' I tried convincing him but he needed a strong reason. Ofcourse he did. It was like asking my boss to demote me.

'But why? What is the matter? I have never seen anyone so gracefully give away their power and position. You know right you are building a competition for your position!!!' He tried explaining me. Little did he know I was no one's competition. I wasn't good at it. Never was. Never could be.

'I know Sir but this project needs personal attention and currently there is a lot in my bucket. I need some time off. I have to deal with a lot of things.' I said as he looked really upset. I couldn't tell him that I wanted to resign. Instead I hoped he himself would let me go. After all I have already exhausted all my leaves and now I was denying to take up my work responsibilities as well. But looks like this man is different from his fellow Nayak brothers.

'Karthik I know you have taken 2 weeks off recently. Sheena told me that you said it was unavoidable. I never questioned because you have always been the employee to take the least amount of leaves in the organisation. You are my precious resource and I wouldn't want you stepping down the position. I can bring in someone temporarily but I won't let you go. You can take some more time off Karthik!!! I approve' he said leaving me stunned.