Chapter 15

PETE

"What the hell happened to you Pete?" Leya freaks out.

"It's not that serious" Pete tries to smile a little but winces as the wound near his lips stretches.

"Are you hearings yourself?" Leya shakes her head, " Pete let's go to the hospital."

"I'm fine... really!" Pete insists,"did you bring what I ask you?"

"You think makeup will work on this? Did you look in the mirror?" Leya says in disbelief.

Pete sighs, "please help me, you're the only one I can ask, I really can't go out with this face." He pleads, sounding tired.

Leya shakes her head again, "Pete, this is so not done, you can't always make that face and expect me to comply with your demands, I can understand to some extent but not always. If you want me to help you, you're gonna tell me exactly what happened." She demands.

Pete considers for a moment.

"Okay, I'll tell you. But you can't tell others, promise?" He gives in ultimately, having no other way.

"Promise." Leya assures him.

She tells him to wait for her in that abandoned classroom where they first met. Then brings some dressing material and ointment probably from a pharmacy.

Once the wounds are cleaned, she starts with the make up. It takes quite some patches of foundation to make it look presentable. Pete gives her a satisfied look at the end. And pulls her into a side hug only to wince in pain again.

"You sure you don't want to go to hospital?" Leya asks again concerned.

"I'm sure." Pete nods.

He then tells her about the whole encounter from before.

"So in short, some girl gave you chocolates in the morning, and apparently her boyfriend came and beat you up?"

Pete nods.

"Such assholes, their inferiority complex acting up. As if beating you would make his gf love him back, wait is that even his gf or some girl he's after?"

Pete shrugs. He couldn't care less.

"But Pete, I still don't understand...why do you need to hide the injuries? It's not like you did something wrong...we could infact complaint against them to our department seniors, there's an anti ragging commettee for disciplinary action against such grave violence. How dare they honestly! Ganging up on one person, cowards!" Leya speaks aggressively, her voice raising a pitch against injustice of the situation.

Pete feels guilty. She's been such a good friend to him. And here he is hiding things from her and lying to her constantly.

But he can't tell her about Vegas.

"I'm just sick of all the attention Leya, I just...want to lie low and lead a quiet life. But somehow I end up tangled into more trouble everyday. I'm tired. Let's just end it here."

She gives him a pitiful look but nods in understanding.

Pete smiles sadly. Hope the make up is good enough to escape Vegas's eyes.

VEGAS

Vegas is in a particularly good mood today. He can't help looking again and again, the bracelet really suits him. Black is his colour afterall.

"What's that thing on your wrist? Since when you started wearing charity products?" Prim makes a face.

Vegas feels offended. "What do you mean by charity product? This is custom made, only one in the world." He speaks defensively.