Chapter 32

PETE

Hot...too hot, like his skin is set on fire but his body shivers as if to contradict. That's how Pete feels waking up. It takes quite some time to get his thoughts on track. Like someone has messed with his head, or his body or both maybe, if the fatigue is anything to go by.

He tries but fails to open his eyes. Something unintelligible like a groan escapes his lips, his tongue feels like sand and throat impossibly dry.

Pete vaguely wonders if he has died afterall.

Slowly the memories of going into the wood, losing his way and falling off a slope comes rushing back and all of a sudden Pete is aware of the pain in his ankle. He hisses, face twisting into an ugly expression of discomfort.

Then there's a hand in his hair and a voice nearby muttering something urgently, but Pete can't make out the words, he thinks he hears his name but he can't be sure. It's too much... everything feels too much and he hates it.

Then there's a flurry of movements and a tingling sensation on his wrist after some minutes. Everything is numb after that, and Pete falls into another nothingness.

....

Next time he wakes up feeling much better, still fatigued somewhat but the odd sensation all over his body is gone and he manages to crack open his eyes finally. After some blinking and squinting he finds himself in an unknown room. Panicked, he tries getting up abruptly, then notices the channel on his wrist and the saline stand by the bed. Is he sick?

Sighing he sits back, leaning over the bed. Trying to recollect his memories, but everything is a blur. How did he get back from the forest? Where is this place?

It looks like one of those old bunglow houses. All wooden ceiling and walls. Posh furnitures radiating wealth. It's different from Theerapanyakul palace but also similar in some way.

The door creaks, announcing someone coming in. Pete clutches onto the bedsheets, unsure of what to expect.

A nurse in white dress walks in, she smiles as their eyes meet.

"Oh you're awake already, how are you feeling?"

"Er .." Pete has to clear his throat a little before answering, his voice feels hoarse from not talking for long, "I'm okay." He says cautiously, then adds," where is this place?"

"Good to know, may I check your vitals please?" She answers with another question, now advancing near him.

"Y-yeah...I think." Pete replies tentatively.

She gets to her business, with the same pleasant business like smile, "I'll make it quick, then I have to report to the masters."

Masters?

"How long have I been...like this?" He tries instead.

"About a day and half? And probably another half before you were shifted." She answers straight this time.

"Oh.."

"Does it hurt?" She asks, moving his left ankle back and forth.

"No it doesn't." Pete replies truthfully.

"It will. Once the painkiller goes down, but don't worry no permanent injuries just some stretched tendons, you'll be fit to walk in a week."

"Thanks...I guess. How...who brought me here?"

She purses her lips, thinking, "I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to tell you, but you'll find out soon." She offers at last.

Before Pete can ask anything else there's a commotion near the door and a high pitched voice screaming.