Chapter 26

PETE

Pete isn't sure where the sudden boldness came from, but he's way too mad at Vegas to care about their hierarchy. Honestly...the lines have been pretty blurred for a while now.

Otherwise how do you explain Vegas standing in front of the gates with his car only for Pete to confidently walk past with a "No thank you".

And if that's somehow Pete's higher centres malfunctioning then what can possibly explain Vegas following him afterwards and getting on the public bus Pete's taking to college.

Things have changed between them, there's no denying the fact anymore. But how and to what extent Pete can't put a finger on that yet.

He has avoided Vegas after the outburst yesterday. And a bit to his disappointment Vegas didn't approach him or try to make up again, so he wasn't expecting anything this morning, but there he was, the cause of all Pete's internal dilemma, leaning on his car, looking illegally handsome. Ugh... why'd Pete think about that!

Anyways, determined to stick to his stand Pete ignores him. It was much easier before when complicated feelings weren't involved. Then Pete wouldn't have been hurt by Vegas's words, it's not like he has never been told mean things in life. But it was different... because this was Vegas.

The stubborn unreasonable part of him wants to see how far Vegas would go to keep him even though theoretically he's already Vegas's subject. But he wants to belong to Vegas in a whole different way and he needs Vegas to earn that.

So he can't help the secret pleased smile when Vegas follows him to the bus stop and gets into the bus with him. Has Vegas ever been on a public transport before? Pete wonders.

Probably not.

The poor guy almost falls when the bus starts driving. Some passengers grunt, some offer him hand. But Vegas takes none, just straightens himself and pretends to be unaffected. But the slight embarrassed red tinge on his cheeks doesn't go amiss Pete's eyes.

If someone from college sees the royal devil like this it'd be disastrous for his reputation. Pete's heart weavers a little with giddiness. He should feel bad for the guy, but mostly he just relishes the fact that Vegas is walking out of his comfort zone to the extent of embarrassing himself for Pete.

But he feigns indifference when Vegas finally slots himself behind him, one hand on the straphanger for support. And he chuckles silently as Vegas curses under breath about how horrible buses are.

The bus is pretty packed today. Being office hour and all.

And Pete's amusement dies quickly as Vegas's breath fans on his neck, being pressed together close in the crowd. His body rapidly growing hot and it has nothing to do with the weather.

To make things worse the driver pulls a brake abruptly and everyone sways forward. Vegas's spare arm warps around Pete's waist immediately, stabilizing him.

"I can handle myself." He mutters, buses aren't new to him, if anything Vegas is the one who needs support.

"Yeah, but I can't. Let me hold onto you." Vegas answers with his arm tightening around Pete's middle, holding him firmly.

Pete rolls his eyes but says no more. And if he secretly enjoys Vegas's protective grip and their shared body warmth then Vegas doesn't need to know that.

After the paper, Pete finds a text from Vegas saying:

"Can't take you home, got some business, call a cab, I'm sending you the fare."

Pete huffs, as if he was waiting for Vegas to take him home.He sends back the money and takes the regular bus home. Feeling childish satisfaction at disobeying Vegas.