Chapter 31

VEGAS

Vegas gets the notification of Pete's attempted calls as their car enters the cottage compund and within network area. He's been frustrated all the way looking at the 'no signal' sign on his phone.

Now his frustration slowly morphs into cold fear as the notification of two unconnected calls pop up on his screen. Pete won't call him unless...no,no,no... Vegas is overthinking, maybe Pete just wanted to let him know that he reached safely. Their car set off earlier afterall, Pete must have reached beforehand. He tries to calm his heart with logic which doesn't sound much convincing even to his own ears.

He needs to see Pete right now. He tries calling Pete, but the call doesn't connect, a recorded voice saying something about the caller being out of network coverage area...why would Pete be out of network?

Finding out the cottage Pete's lodged in is not much of a big deal, just a bit of asking the staff around. With an ominous feeling blooming in his chest Vegas approaches the front door. Muffled voices of a heated argument welcomes his ears from outside. The bad feeling closes up on him. Something must have happened...

Instead of knocking like a normal person he just kicks the door open.

"Did you really just send him–" Dan stops mid-sentence and his face goes pale as he spots Vegas.

But Vegas' eyes are fixed on Sean, sitting by the fireplace, looking positively high. Vegas grits his teeth and crosses the room in large strides to stand in front of the bastard. Given the expression on the fucker's face Vegas' intuition must be right... something happened to Pete. And Vegas is going to kill someone tonight.

He grabs the drunk bastard by the collar of his jacket and staggers him up on his feet.

Sean bares his teeth in a disgusting grin as if Vegas' furious expression amuses him.

"Wipe that fucking smile off you fucker! Where is he?" He shakes him.

Sean apparently finds the whole situation increasingly entertaining. He keeps laughing on unsteady feet.

Vegas slams him to the ground with a punch.

"What did you do to him? You BASTARD! I'm going to burn you alive, I'm not even kidding!" His voice comes out strained slightly on the edge of desperation, in spite of how fucking angry he is, he realises for the first time in life, that he's actually scared.

There's a knot in his stomach, like he's going to be sick.

So he kicks the evil smirk out of Sean, and he keeps going like a madman until there's a hand on his shoulder and a voice apparently calling his name. It takes a while for Vegas to register what the voice is saying–"Vegas! Vegas listen to me. I know where Pete is...we need to go, find him soon, come with me! Please Vegas stop this, come with me."

Vegas finally stops and looks back when he hears Pete's name.

"You know where he is?" He asks Dan, hating the frantic tone of his voice.

"Yeah...in the..in the woods behind the cottages, come we need to find him–" Dan stammers the words out," please" he adds when Vegas' expression goes blank for a while, like the calm before the storm.

"He's..in the woods..." Vegas slowly repeats Dan's words as if trying to understand. Then he swallows and takes a deep breath"How long?"

"Less than an hour... I guess." Dan says.

That must be right, because the call attempt was around half an hour earlier when Vegas checked.

Then as if broken out of trans something flashes up in his eyes and he turns around and kicks Sean square in the ribs. "I warned you, but either you're a dense bastard or I didn't make myself clear enough" He huffs out a dry laugh and continues," if anything happens to him, I'll personally make your life a living nightmare, and you'll beg me to kill you because after I'm done with you hell would look like a better place to be, that's a Theerapanyakul's promise."