Chapter 23

PETE

It is around 4:30 am when they finally wrapped up for the day. Pete might just fall asleep anywhere at this point. There are still some students in the library probably gonna continue till the break of dawn.

Stepping out of the library Pete stretches properly. His whole body feels stiff and he has a pretty bad neck pain. What's even worse is there isn't any bus available right now and getting a cab this late would cost him too much.

"How're you getting home Pete?" Green asks. The four of them from business major were studying together.

Leya actually left an hour ago, her brother came to pick her up.

"Umm...I can walk th-" but his words are cut short as a red bike pulls up just in front of them with an angry screech.

"What the fuck!" Jim curses.

The figure on the bike dressed all-over in black jacket and leather pants turns their helmet clad head towards Pete. His confusion is further raised as the figure hands out a helmet towards him.

"Hey, who're you? What do you want?" Green asks, trying to sound intimidating but failing.

The figure pays no attention to him.

Pete swallows nervously and blinks in confusion. At that the figure draws back a little and sighs. Then takes off their helmet with the free hand.

Pete can hear his friends letting out a gasp. He himself is no less taken aback because 'why is Vegas here'?

As if to reply his monologue Vegas speaks up,
"How long are you planning to stand here like a statue, hop on!" His voice sounds mildly irritated.

Pete rolls his eyes internally because how dare Vegas get annoyed with him after ignoring him for the last few days! He has half a mind to not respond and give Vegas a taste of his medicine. But he keeps from it, not wanting to cause a scene in front of others.

So he takes the spare helmet and helps himself with it.

"P-P'Vegas! We're sorry...we didn't know it was you! Please forgive us!" Jim and Green say together in a trembling voice. Pete can't help but find it a little amusing. They look like they'd piss their pants any moment. Maybe he feels a little sorry for his friends too.

Vegas just gives them a frown and a once over look as if registering their presence for the first time.

Then he turns to Pete again.

"You friends?"

Pete nods.

"They just wanted to protect me." He feels the need to speak something on their behalf.

Vegas hums a little, putting his helmet back on. Gesturing Pete to hop on the back seat. This time Pete doesn't hesitate.

He turns and waves a little 'bye' to his friends who still look very much traumatized.

"Hold tight!" Vegas tells him as he starts the engine.

Pete just clutches onto the sides of Vegas's jacket, not really touching him.

He hears a faint "whatever, don't complain I didn't warn you -" and suddenly the bike starts off. Pete almost falls back due to inertia and quickly learns his lesson, he's a fast learner after all.

So he doesn't hesitate wrapping both arms tightly around Vegas's middle after that. Pete can practically 'see' Vegas's smirk from his sixth sense.

Annoying jerk! Would always have his way.