Chapter 22

PETE

Happiness is a scary feeling. It comes with a sense of fear. What happens when all this ends? Would he be able to deal with the pain that comes along with disappointment when the euphoria disappears and reality kicks in.

Pete knows it very well. Yet he dared to dream, dream of happiness, the audacity! But can he be blamed? When Vegas kissed him like that, like Pete was something precious and not a handed down belonging of his father. When Vegas looked at him, like really looked at him as if Pete was something very much alive and breathing and not just a pretty doll.

Pete thinks he's high on drugs. Everything else seems blurred and less important at this point. Every cell of his body in every waking moment is yearning for a certain someone's gaze and touch.

But the heat starts to dissipate soon, because nothing else happens to keep it ablaze. Pete keeps waiting to the point that he starts doubting if that kiss ever happened or was it just a moment of weakness, a figment of his imagination.

It seems like he's gone back to being invisible to Vegas. It's been 5 days...

As much as he'd like to drown in self pity, he has exams to clear, and he needs to get high grades, in order to keep his scholarship. Dealing with things like 'feelings' is a luxury for people like Pete.

But easier said than done, Pete sighs.
He feels a hand on his shoulder and looks up from the pile of books. He finds Leya looking at him with concern.

"Do you wanna go out for a drink?" She offers.

Pete could use some break to clear his head. "Sure."

"Is something bothering you?" She asks once they've ordered their drinks.

"No, I'm fine." Pete replies almost on autopilot with a fake smile so brand of him. But Leya doesn't fall for it.

"You're distracted. You know you've been staring at the same page for half an hour and fiddling with your pen before I asked you for drinks." She states.

Pete blinks, clearly he hasn't noticed any of it.

"Is it about what P'Sean said? You know we can still ask the student body-"

"No, it's not about that..." In fact Pete had forgotten about that totally. It happened on the same day as the kis- no,it happened five days ago. Pete was on his way to class after Vegas dropped him, he was so on cloud nine to notice anything around and was taken aback when he felt a tug on his backpack near the turn of a staircase.

Pete gulped as a nasty grin and a familiar face came in view. It was P'Sean.

"Pete! Long time no see!" Sean laughed and Pete shivered, memories of that night coming back, he felt sick.

"Oh my! Why do you look so scared?" The older guy mocked then suddenly leaned into Pete's personal space and whispered, "someone would think I'm bullying you!" He broke into a fit of laughter, throwing his head back. Pete clutched onto his pants by the side, feeling deja vu of the words.

"Relax! I'm here to make amends" Sean continued, "after the sem, every year the students go camping, a deserved vacation don't you think? I'd like to bring you along Pete, all expenses on me, a nice little outing for us to bond as senior-junior, sounds fun right?"

No it doesn't. Pete wanted to say. But nothing came out of his mouth. Sean took his silence as an agreement and left him with another sinister grin.

But it's the last thought on his mind now. He'd deal with it when time comes...

"Then what? You don't have to tell if it makes you uncomfortable...but sharing helps, and I'm always here to lend an ear." Leya assures.