1 || Captain

I was no stranger to the military. I've been here for years, done multiple camps and courses of training. Im no high rank, often overlooked or just never given the proper opportunity to prove myself worthy of a rewarding position.

The weeks would pass slowly and all I had to do to fill time was train or play online games from dodgy websites on my laptop. Although last time I was caught by my groups dean, it didn't go down well. I find the days boring and uneventful even small things such as surveillance missions get me excited.

It was around mid-day and I sat within the office area, twirling aimlessly on my chair and building paper planes to throw over the dividing walls that blocked me from my teammates.

"C'mon Dex, cut that out" I heard my friend Oryx say before the paper plane was returned. I chuckled, picking up the paper as it glided to a land on the floor. Catching a glimpse of Oryx at his desk while I did so.

Oryx was who I considered a cousin but in a less family matter way. The fun cousin who your always so excited to see at family gathers or public holidays. He was the only one who liked to 'put' up with my messing about.

I never messed about, sure I cracked a few jokes here and there and did some pretty stupid stunts, but I was more than serious about my work here, seeing as I'm still part of my troop.

I rolled my chair back to the edge of my desk. Outside was windy, a slight whistle against the windows while trees shook wildly. The sky, however, was blue and the heat was unbearable. I creased the paper with folds, my tongues tip hanging out as I focused on my current origami.

I hold it up in silent triumph ... a chatterbox. I peek over the thin wooden dividers at the room, no leaders seemingly in sight. I get up on my desk, sitting on my bent knees as I hang myself over the dividing wall.

Holding out the chatterbox, I shake it to get Oryx's attention.

"C'mon!" I whisper as he shakes his head.

"Please!" I whisper more desperately "I worked really hard on it" I say as I use a hand to jazz hand around it, displaying my amazing creation.

He shakes his head with a silent chuckle but nonetheless rolls his chair over. I smile, stretching my arms as he pokes the box. My mouth moves as i lip sync the colors and numbers before peeling back the chosen fold.

'Do three spins in your chair' it says.

I point to Oryx as he shakes his head, refusing the action. I let my mouth hang open for a few seconds before I start trying to swat at him from over the wall, silence filled with the ruffles of gear and strained huffs.

Oryx wheels himself back with an amused grin, flipping me off. I pause pulling an over exaggerated shocked expression before I furrow my brows, pulling myself up as I struggle to get over the dividing wall.

I flail my arms aimlessly as I fold over the wall by my hips, stretching out to reach him as he tries holding back his laughter. I'm smiling too, finally some fun from this boring day of desk duty.

It's only then I realize I'm a little stuck, unable to grab anything to pull myself fully over but bent awkwardly enough that I can't just back up the way I started. I let my face fall as I motion with eye language to Oryx, I'm stuck.

He bursts out in amusement, slapping his hand over his mouth as he coils in silent laughter. I tilt my head with a stern glance, demanding help which only makes him turn his back to me, unable to handle the sight as laughter bubbles.

I can't help but smile, whisper yelling to him.

"Oryx help! -" I can barely say without my amusement sprinkling its way through. I grab unsuccessfully at objects around me, only managing to knock off a pen holder.