3**

**Alexander’s POV**

 I was on the prowl, looking for my next meal. No, not because I was hungry, but just out of plain boredom.  These humans have so much, but they are so wasteful. They have the ability to love after being betrayed, to laugh after crying and always, they have the chance to move on and forget pain. They aren’t hunted every night by their guilt or their pain. No, they just mourn and get it over with. For them, pain is a three day issue. Then it is forgotten. But not for me.

I found a drunken man walking out of the bar. He seemed like an easy type and when he realized what I was; his blood would be even more delicious as fear cripples him. But then something slipped me out of my vicious thoughts.  It was a pained sigh.

“Christmas.”

Again, I heard it. It sounded like a broken angel’s cry. I was a few streets away, but with my extra-sensitive hearing, I could hear everything on a silent night like this one. I ran, using my vampire speed to find the source, and then hid in the shadows as I observed her. It was a ‘her’ right?

I jumped to the roof of the building in a fluid move and checked down. Yup, it was a ‘her’ alright!

Her sweet, melodic voice proved that as she spoke out to parents that were dead. My stony heart broke at the thought of her going through so much of pain. How could she go through so much of pain?

I looked down again and studied her. She had a tiny body, so small it could be a boy’s.

But then I realized that there was no way in heaven or hell that a boy could have such beautiful hair, even beneath all the dirt and sludge. Her pale face, filled with dirt was breathtakingly beautiful. “Beautiful,” I whispered thoughtlessly.

What did I just say?

I shook my head. I needed to clear it. There was no way I could find a human child beautiful! They’re ghastly beings, only to be used for food. I rolled my eyes and looked at the beautiful child again. It was obvious now that it was without a doubt that she was a girl. Her pale skin was flawless, even beneath all the grime; her golden locks were definitely a sight to behold. That much was obvious through all the sludge and dirty snow stuck in it. With a brief glance down at her again, something tugged at my iced heart.

What was this girl doing to me? I growled. How was I going to be respected if was having such mellow thoughts over a human?

That blonde girl was small, very small. Her face was thin and petite and almost pixie-like that it gave her an air of vulnerability. Something, much like the need to be closer to her, caused me to drop down and gently brush the stray strand of her golden locks away from her face. Her skin was creamy and silky, despite the cold that was frosting on it. Immediately upon contact, I was hit with a wave of innocence and purity so intense that I became emotional.

Suddenly it all clicked in my mind. It finally made sense as to why I was so entranced by her. Her purity surrounded her like a second skin, giving her soul such radiance that it was difficult to draw yourself away from her.

No other soul will be as beautiful as hers, I realized belatedly. She has to come home with me.

I shrugged of the jacket I wore and wrapped her up in it before hoisting her p with one arm and grabbing her bag with the other. “You are coming home with me, little angel,” I whispered and shot off into the dark.

Within a blink of an eye I was at home. Well, not technically. It took me all of a few minutes as I lived a little further out of town, in a secluded forest.

 How cliché. But a vampire needs their space and the best way to get it was to be away from the pesky, annoying and inquisitive humans.

Ironic how you’ve carried one home, my conscience shot at me.