12**

He pulled me out and led me to the car in fast, angry strides. I struggled to keep up, but I kept my problems to myself.

“In case you forgot, I am in a dress,” I muttered grudgingly as I stumbled behind him.

He slowed his pace a bit and then stopped completely to look at me. “I am sorry,” he grumbled and took my hand gently in his.

At first it felt weird and unusual. In all the years that I knew him, we have never held hands. My hands felt small and dainty in his big, cold hands. I closed my fingers around his and walked with him. We walked past the car and onto some pavement that led to an alley.

“Alex…” I said trailing off.

He turned to look at me and his earlier expression of murder melted away and on his lips was a small, mischievous smile. “It’s okay Liv. You’re in a vampire town and you’re with me. Trust me a little,” he said and squeezed my hand. 

I huffed but followed him regardless. The alleyway stunk of cat pee and rotting garbage. It was enough to make me sick, if I hadn’t been in such a position before. I lifted my hand that was unoccupied to cover my nose as I walked on. Soon, we came to a field.

“Are we actually going to walk there?” I asked incredulously pointing to the endless field behind the wooden fence.

The field was obviously vampire owned since there were riders there and lights strung up across many different trees. Also, it was very well looked after. The green, lustrous field went on for miles and miles. The thoroughbred horses were fat and muscular and in shape. My heart ached to go and ride one.

“Yes,” he said. “But even better than that, we’re going horse riding.”

I hugged him excitedly. “Really?” I asked in a childlike tone.

He looked down at me and smiled. “Yep, you can ride as long as you want.”

I had a grin I couldn’t hide as we walked to the fence and then further down to the reception. He sent me towards the barn to pick out a horse for me. I walked past many stalls just looking at them and studying them. Halfway through, I found the one I wanted.

It was a stallion that much was obvious by its powerful build. It was pitch black, except for his mane and his nose. He let out a whine as I appraised him. He tottered forward to the door and pushed his head out for me to pet. Hesitantly, I stretched out my hand for him. He immediately put his head underneath it and rubbed it up and down. I smiled.

“You like that, don’t you boy?” I whispered. He neighed softly.

I would have thought that I had lost my touch with horses after that incident. I would have thought that I would have been afraid to approach them in case they dredged up memories of the night my parents were murdered. Yet, now approaching a horse twelve years later, I am glad that it was not the case. I am grateful that instead a horse found me.

“How about I take you for a ride?” I asked softly.

Just then the stable door burst open and Alex scanned the area looking for me. A smile broke out onto his face when he saw me, but then immediately turned to a frown. He bounded over in a rush.

“Get away from Brutus!” he said afraid and pulled me behind him.

“Why?” I asked perplexed.

“Miss, that is one demon of a horse,” a stable hand, I didn’t see come in, said calmly. “He doesn’t allow anyone to touch him or ride him.”

I laughed as Alex grumbled and paced around. “He approached me, but if he is such a demon, why don’t you sell him?” I asked and fondly rubbed my hand down his muzzle.