26**

Alex

I stared moodily at the bed. Olivia was no longer thrashing around the bed, instead she lied there as still as a corpse. It had hurt to see her thrash around like that and by some primal urge, I bit her and allowed venom into her bloodstream.

Within seconds, she was falling back into my arms motionless. It was singlehandedly the most afraid I had ever been. All sorts of ridiculous thoughts ran through my mind. I had nearly screamed that I had killed the only woman that has stolen my heart –whether she was still a girl and no woman or not.

Then, one of the greatest sounds I heard was her rapidly beating heart pushing my venom through her body.

I let out a sigh of relief and felt everyone else’s relief. “Thank God,” Sebastian said as he held on tightly to Catherine.

I agreed with his statement, but never bothered to utter it out loud. I was certain enough that everyone knew how I felt. I was spared; I was given a second chance with her.

“Xander, we are going to rest for a while,” Vasya said and motioned to everyone in the room. I nodded and heard them quietly shuffle out.

At last, I was left alone with Liv. But it made no difference to me because since she got hurt I felt alone. She wasn’t waking up, she wasn’t talking and most of all she wasn’t looking at me.

It was just near sunrise when I heard a choking sound from Liv.  I sped to her bed and lifted her up. She twisted around and around in my arms, but I still managed to maintain a firm grip on her. Her arms were flailing around, smacking me in the face multiple times but I didn’t care.

“Let me go!” she growled and managed to break free as she opened her eyes.

With wild, rust coloured, eyes she looked at me. I could see the panic, the fear and the confusion as she glanced around the room assessing danger. Trying not to scare her, I held up my hands in surrender, but still she stared at me. Outside the room, I could hear the rest of the group and fervently hoped Olivia didn’t pay attention to it.

“Olivia,” I called softly, in a non-threatening tone.

“Alex?” she asked confused.

I nodded and she dropped her defensive stance and fell to the bed in a heap. I stepped closer, not wanting to invade her personal space. As a new born, she was highly volatile and her unstable emotions could overrule her thinking ability and one wrong step could prove fatal.

“What happened to me? Why aren’t I dead?” she mumbled.

I sat down, realizing that she would not harm me. “What do you remember?” I asked.

“They were here,” she whispered, afraid that they might still be lurking somewhere.

“And?” I prompted.

She buried her head in the pillows and after a few seconds, she sat up and looked at me. I could see her vulnerability and her fear. Her back was straightened and her eyes were glazed over as she began speaking.

“I trained most of the day away and when I came back I changed your bedding, showered and sat down to have a meal. I was relaxing and watching TV when I heard something. I grabbed a fire poker and then came face to face with them. My fear evaporated and I steeled myself to fight to death.

“The leader, Mikael, taunted me I stood my ground and one moment when they were not looking, I took advantage and managed to knock out of the vampires. The second one was a pure stroke of luck…” she carried on narrating her tale and I felt my pride swell.