11*

“Liv! Liv wake up!” I heard someone growl outside my room door. I grumbled under my breath and turned around pulling the cover over my head. “Damn it, Liv! Open this bloody door or I will kick it in!”

Groggily stumbling out of bed, I made my way to the door and pulled it open to see an angry looking Alexander staring at me. I ignored his stares and crawled back beneath my warm covers. “What do you want?” I mumbled sleepily.

He marched in and threw himself on my bed very untidily and very un-kingly. “There is no one to make me hot chocolate,” he said despondently.

I barked out a dry laugh and turned my body away from him. “And how does that link to you disturbing my peaceful sleep?” I huffed.

“I need my hot chocolate or I can’t sleep!” he complained.

“That’s not my problem,” I yawned.

“It is. You won’t sleep until I get it.”

“You have other people to do this! Why me?” I moaned.

He mumbled something unintelligibly under his breath.

“God, you know if you are trying to converse with a person still mostly asleep, you could be kind enough to talk clearly,” I said icily.

“I trust you not to poison me,” he whispered awkwardly. His pride was hurt at his comment.

But I blushed.

 In the last week that we were alone, he had to learn to do most things on his own. Or he had to find someone to boss around. Robert and Rosie had requested a two week break to spend travelling as they hadn’t had time alone in over two decades.

“Really? That’s kind,” I said and felt the warmth spread through me at that affirmation.

“Yes, now that you have ruined my pride, will you please make me hot chocolate?” he begged.

“Where’s your bed warmer for the night?” I asked, but sat up nonetheless.

He growled warningly, but not in a threatening manner. “You know I haven’t had one in the last two years, Liv,” he said with a grave embarrassment.

“Oh,” I said uncomfortably. I fixed my now growing hair and then got out of bed. I wanted to avoid that awkward conversation, but apparently, the King wouldn’t allow me.

“So, how long were you asleep?” he asked conversationally as he walked along side me.

I sighed. “If you don’t mind, I would prefer the silence,” I grumbled.

“But I wouldn’t prefer it,” he smiled.

“Then you will learn to enjoy a monologue,” I replied snappily.

His chuckle echoed through the empty hallways.  “I once allowed myself to live in silence for just over a decade,” he said softly.

That had me stopping in the middle of the kitchen to look at him. “What? Why?” I asked in shock.

“Long story,” he said dejectedly.

“Like the long story of why I can’t leave?” I asked and walked to the pantry and grabbed the tin of hot chocolate and a few small chocolate bars. I placed it in the table and then poured the milk in the mugs and heated it in the microwave. Then I went and sat in front of Alexander.

“It’s not that long of a story,” he mumbled.

“So, please share,” I said.

“Well, you obviously know how stupid it would be to leave now when you can monitor the behavior of …those other vampires,” he said sounding hatefully.