13**

They stared in shock for a few seconds before they realized that they were staring at their King. Clumsy curtsies and bows were made as they scrambled to the sides making an aisle for Alex and me to pass through.

A blush stained my cheeks and I looked down, trying to hide my embarrassment. Alex held my hand as we walked and held his posture upright and a small smile graced his lips. He squeezed my hand and I looked up at him. “Look up,” he mouthed.

I shook my head fiercely.

Before he could reply, we arrived at the small impromptu stage and he nodded to the organizers –who were all the ladies and men he had the earlier meeting with. I offered a polite smile their way, but in return I got sneers or fake smiles. I guess, I will never try to be nice to them again if that was the treatment I was going to get.

“Rise,” Alex addressed them in a clear voice and at once they all stood straight. Soon, soft music played and couples either socialized or danced. I was forced to meet some vampires who held no interest in me or so much of interest in me that they wanted to drink from me.

Alex would just give a cold, short laugh to a comment that hinted at drinking from me. I, however, would just feel so out of place. But the stubborn vampire I was with, failed to realize that.

“Excuse me,” I told Alex and pulled my hand from his grasp. But he refused to let go.

“Are you afraid that your pet might get stolen right beneath your nose?” the dark haired vampire teased Alex.

I felt Alex stiffen and watched as his eyes transformed to a dark hue. He was truly angry with that comment. I shivered and tugged on his muscular arm. He didn’t even blanch at it.

“Alex,” I said softly.

It didn’t help.

“Take that back,” he told the man in a chilling voice. “Take that comment back!”

The man shrunk under Alex’s strong gaze but still spoke back to Alex. “But why? She is just a prettily dressed little human,” he said bravely.

I rolled my eyes and managed to pull my hand from Alex’s grip. “I am going,” I said and turned around.

I managed to reach the snack table before Alex had a death grip on my arm. “What the hell are you storming off for?” he growled at me.

I put the glass plate I had picked up back down calmly, and turned to face him with a glare. “Jeez, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that you’re acting like a caveman is embarrassing and humiliating. Even for a King,” I said sarcastically.

“So what do you want me to do? Ignore all their jibes and insinuations about you? Act like it is nothing?” he asked getting angry.

I huffed. “Damn it, Alex. It is not so hard to put your pride away for a minute and just let them say what they want to. Every time you react to any comment about me it gives them more ammunition against you. Just let it slide, because this way you are making a big deal out of nothing. And please, for the sake of my sanity, behave,” I begged him and then turned to pile my plate with food.

I ignored the judging looks the vampires were giving me and found a place to sit away from their curious eyes. They shouldn’t even be judging me, because I was doing them a favour by eating this food. I was making them seem normal. They should be kissing my feet and hailing me as their queen.

I laughed silently and ate my food with darting eyes. I wanted to be aware of my surroundings in case Camille decided to show up. I picked up a tart and bit the corner when Alex’s heavy hand lay on my shoulder.