28**

“What?” my mouth spoke before the words caught up. I shoved a hand over my mouth to keep me from blurting out other stupid words.

Alex walked over to me with a sad look in his eyes. “Leave,” he said and I stood to go, but he caught my wrist in a gentle hold and turned his eyes to me. “Not you, I have to speak to you,” he said softly.

They left, but not before all casting me a nervous glance. I gave a weak smile, trying to convey that I was alright, but I knew it didn’t work. When the door was shut, Alex indicated for me to sit and then he kneeled in front of me.

I began to worry, was he going to propose? But he wouldn’t. He all but said that he didn’t want me as a wife.

“Olivia,” he began nervously. I nodded, not wanting to speak and cry out. This was the part where he would say ‘sorry, but I can’t marry you’ and I would have to get on with my life. I was ready for it, because I was going to travel the world and find love.

“I understand if you don’t want to marry me. Honestly, I do. I will not force you to marry me just because a few vampires are threatening me. You are not obligated to do it, but I am going to ask you. Will you marry me Olivia?”

I looked away. I knew my answer was going to be yes, but not only because I loved him, but more because he saved my life twice and I was indebted to him. I owed it to him and I was going to pay my debt off that way.

“Yes.”

He looked up at me and I saw his confusion. “Can you repeat that?” he asked unsure.

“Yes, I will marry you,” I said quietly.

 He grinned and got up, picking me in his arms, he spun around the room like a lunatic. “Thank you, thank you. Thank you so much!” he said happily, relieved and stress-free as we spun.

As I held onto his shoulders, I felt something shift in me. Granted I was in love with him, but being in his arms was something I had always loved. I felt safe and secure there. It was home to me and I was not going to give it up.

“Put me down please,” I asked as I became too dizzy.

Instantly he sat me on the bed and checked me over. “Why are you so pale?” he asked as he brushed back my hair.

“Must be the fact I turned into a vampire,” I said sullenly.

He clicked his tongue in impatience. “Have you had blood?” he asked and cradled my face in his hands.

“No.”

“Oh God, please don’t try to kill me, Liv,” he sighed worried and removed one hand from my face.

“No, don’t do that!” I cried as I started to feel faint and weak as his hand left my face.

I heard a ripping sound and the next thing I saw was his bitten wrist shoved in my face. I felt my teeth elongate and pierce my lip as the bloodlust overtook my mind, but somewhere I was still repulsed by the idea of drinking blood. “Drink,” he insisted and put his wrist to my lips, rubbing the blood across it.

Without a thought, my tongue slid over it and it tasted divine. I closed my eyes and pulled his wrist to my mouth as I drank deeply from him. Gulp after gulp, all I tasted from his blood was creamy hot chocolate.

I moaned without meaning to and I heard Alex chuckle faintly. Then, gently he pried my fingers away from his wrist. “That’s enough little one,” he said with a teasing tone.

I made a sound of protest, but none the less, gave up. With frightened eyes I looked at Alex, expecting some sort of anger, but instead he had a calm smile. He smoothed my hair and sat next to me. I leaned into his touch, craving comfort.