27**

Olivia

"What the hell?" I burst out as Alyona walked into my room.

She gave me a warm smile, but I wasn't sold on it. I maybe a vampire, as much as I detested it, but I still did not trust her one bit. "Are you here to kick me out?" I asked bitterly.

She shook her head. "Then what? Because if you don't talk I will just leave the room," I said getting annoyed.

I was starting to get very annoyed with everything. Alex turned me a vampire, against my own will. He made me into something that I never wanted to be —ever. I was no better than those damned idiots who killed my parents. I was a blood drinker.  Worse than that, I was alone.

Cathy didn't understand why I didn't want to be a vampire. She was adamant that I had something to live for, but what could I live for? Granted I read a note that I wasn't supposed to, but not once in three days has Alex come to see me. He killed Eli —who might have been the only one to understand me and I bet that the excuse he gave about Eli's death was just an excuse.

Alyona made a light sound and my eyes flickered to hers as she sat on a chair in the library. I forgot about her presence. "I believe that you are confused about my status," she said calmly.

I raised my eyebrow at her. What was she insinuating?

"You think Alex and I have something going on. You think I am the next queen," she stated, rather than asked. 

I nodded, not wanting to speak to her. "Actually, you are quite mistaken. But I did not come here to talk to you about that. I am here to tell you to stop being so cruel to Alex. You were not here to see his torment while you changed. He was a ghost of his true self. I suggest that you go and speak to him," she said and walked out, her black dress swaying behind her.

I leaned back against the window and stared at the garden. Everything seemed so neglected and so dull but I couldn't bring myself to care. All I wanted was death. Sweet, peaceful death. A balm to my never-ending heartache.

All I wanted was my heart to stop breaking, to stop paining, but nothing would work and as a vampire, I was stuck in that pain for all eternity. There would never be a balm to soothe it. I cradled my head and focused my thoughts.

I could no longer be strong. I was strong for too long and this was the price I had to pay. I was stupid and naïve to think that living with a vampire would have been easy. I should have known that when Alex said I couldn't leave, it included death. I should have known that his price would have been my mortality, yet I was fooled into thinking he had some compassion.

But, deep down, I knew he was compassionate. I saw it the night he burned Mikael. He had even gone as far as adding garlic, something that I wanted to do. I suppose him being a mind-reader he would have gotten wind of my thoughts. Yet, I was grateful he had tortured him and finally killed him. I don't think I would have been strong enough to torture him that way.

I sighed and pulled my hands away and looked at them. I was paler than before, my skin clearer and my eyes —I knew from catching a nearby mirror —were an ugly rust colour. My golden hair I cherished in my childhood was even more lustrous than before. Yet, I was still the same old Livvy. 

I was in love with the vampire king and he...I had no clue how he really felt about me. In the letter I read before they came, he said that he loved me, but did he really mean it? Could he really mean it? Especially with the beautiful Alyona around him, but disregarding what she said.

I stood up and walked around the library while I read my book from earlier. There was a light knock at the door and Vasya popped his head in. "Hey," he smiled. "It is time for you to eat something," he urged.