21**

An hour later, the water was still hot, my body was still sore and I was still calmly relaxing. I heard Alex knock once or twice. I didn't want to answer, but I couldn't tell what the consequences would be like if I refused to answer. "Uh, I am still busy," I called out.

"Oh, but you have to get done," he said strictly.

I sighed and pulled the plug so the water could drain out. I attempted to lift myself up, but my back still hurt. "Alex?" I called, shame lacing every letter out of my mouth. It was mortifying to ask him for help while he has his queen near, and even more embarrassing because I was well and truly naked.

"What's wrong Liv?" he asked concerned.

I covered my face with my hand and asked. I was way too embarrassed. "Can you help me out of the tub, please?"

It killed me to have asked that. I wished more than anything it could have been Vasya or Antoine, but unfortunately, I was still stuck with Alex. He chuckled and then answered. I could hear his amusement. "I'm coming in, okay?"

I turned my head away as I heard him step inside the bathroom. When he coughed, I turned to look. "Liv, I need your hand," he said and not bothering to hide his smirk. I huffed and placed my hand in his larger one. He lifted my whole body up and then slipped the towel around me and carried me out. All the time he had his eyes closed until I was properly covered.

"I don't have clothes," I said quietly.

He looked down at me as he walked with extra precaution. "Already sorted. I have had it here for years in case something happened," he smiled.

I gave a shocked smile in return and tried not to be freaked out. "Uhm, thanks," I said regaining composure. He just laughed and placed me on the bed.

"Do you think you will need help changing?" he asked awkwardly. I giggled. It was so cute —in a weird way —that he looked so out of place. Yet, my thoughts had all sorts of comments running around about how he is so uncomfortable around me although he has probably seen a thousand girls naked.

"I think I can manage," I said awkwardly.

"Okay, I'm waiting outside."

I shuffled and wiggled my way into my clothes and then called Alex back inside. We had so much to talk about. Starting with the way he was acting.

He looked hurt and uncertain. "Go on," I prompted with little grace.

He ran his hand over his hair. "I feel bad. I have locked you inside our mansion for years on the basis that I am protecting you, teaching you and whatever other flimsy excuse I could come up with. I can't say that they are not true. They are true, but not the real reason I suppose."

He looked straight at me, eye to eye and I could see he was baring his soul to me. I could see that he was making himself vulnerable, for me. Once again, I was drawn into my thoughts and transported to the time when we went to that little meeting of his out of town. I remembered how honest he was with me. He gulped and continued. "When I found you that night, it wasn't because I wanted to drain you. I was actually on the hunt, looking for amusement and like traditional vampire style, I was at the bar. Then, a soft sigh and melodic words floated out of your mouth. I ran to where you were and at the top of the building I watched you. Something drew me in. There was a radiance emitting from you. You were beautiful even though you were dying. There was a sense of purity surrounding you and your innocence was so clear. That night I learnt a lot," he ended with a sigh.

"I willingly took a human home with me without the intent to kill or turn them. It was against the law, but I was king and there was little anyone could say. Besides that, I am a ruthless vampire. I know that I may not seem like one, but it is true, Olivia. I am no angel. I have lived a long life and seen many things. But that has nothing to do with why I brought you here. I suppose that I took you home that night because I saw something in you. You were dirty and filled with grime, but yet you were at peace."