7**

I woke up and found Cathy waiting on me. I smiled at her, but her face seemed sad. “Cathy? What’s wrong?” I asked as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

She gave me a flimsy smile. “I’m going to miss your hair,” she said and walked to the bed so she could smoothen down my bird nest on my head.

I frowned as what Henry said floated back to me.“She needs to get rid of that bright gold hair. It is too bright and too attention seeking. And if she ever wants to be the best, that length will hinder her progress.”

“Don’t worry, he wasn’t exclusively callous to you alone,” she said and tried to soothe me. “He hates everyone, especially Master.” She got up and walked to the little closet to take out my clothes.

As she busied herself, I thought of what she said. If he hated Alexander, then what was he doing here? “So, why does he hate Alexander?” I asked curious.

She laughed. “Did you ever hear about curiosity killed the cat?” she teased.

“I did, but I’ve never heeded that information. You see, my logic is, it killed a cat, not a human and the fortunate cat has eight other lives,” I said with a laugh.

She laughed louder. “Well, well, you do have a smart mouth,” she teased. “But if you promise to keep it to yourself, I’ll tell you why,” she whispered conspiratorially.

I nodded eagerly. “I promise, but it’s not –”

She cut me off. “If you do not hush it, I won’t tell you,” she hissed, looking around.

I put my forefinger on my lips and nodded like a good girl.

“You see, Master is very influential and well, Henry is not. Yet, Henry happened to be slightly better at fighting and well, I suppose Master could be better. I just suspect that he allows Henry to win not to damage his ego even further. Henry always challenges Master in front of a crowd; because if he declines it will prove to the vampire world that out Master is weak, which he isn’t. He is just very calculating and intelligent.  Now on the other hand, Henry is just a mean bully who wants the fame and fortune which Master has.” She breathed and looked at me to see if I understood. I nodded and she continued.

“Master is shrewd. He never does anything irrational and all his actions have reasons behind them. And by allowing Henry to win lulls him into a false security, letting him believe that he can overpower Master.” She finished and took a long, deep breath.

I sat quietly, and then I had to ask the most important question. “How is he indebted to Alexander?”

She snorted and I worried if it were a stupid reason. “You see, when they were younger, Henry was a lot more foolish and idiotic in his ways. He did not care what his actions did to others and he went ahead carelessly with whatever silly idea went through his mind. So one day, he caught himself in a pickle. No one would help him out of it, however, our valiant Master swooped in and saved this arrogant ass,” Cathy said with distaste.

My eyes widened. “Why would Alexander do that?”

Cathy laughed. “He isn’t so bad. Just bad tempered, but that was not the worst thing. Master saved him, but he had the nerve to pin the whole thing on Master.”

“That is sick,” I said and rolled off the bed, just as Alexander knocked once then peeked in.

“Morning ladies,” he greeted. I jumped up slightly, feeling guilty about just talking about him.

“Morning, sir,” Cathy greeted with a small smile and a fearful look.

“Morning,” I choked out quickly. “Uh, I was just going to get done,” I added on clumsily.