Chapter 2

When I opened my eyes and moved from the den, there was thick heavy snow covering every inch of the forest.

It must have snowed sometime after I fell asleep, I must have slept through it with how tired I was.

Still, I couldn't let this stop me from slowing down, if I did stop now even for just a moment longer, I would be as good as dead, with little food and water to keep me alive.

My feet didn't hurt as much, so I had that to be happy for because it could only mean one thing, I had started to regain some of my abilities back after severing all ties to my 'pack'.

It was as dangerous in the daylight as it was in the darkness, but with a new day and my abilities returning to me, I could run for longer and cover more ground until my senses returned to normal.

I was practically blind right now, with only my healing and stamina coming back, I was still weak and powerless, especially if a hunter or other creature caught me this weak, and on my own.

My best bet... would be to find wolves like me and pledge my way in for their protection, but now that I was rogue, I would have to submit completely to get a way in, which meant I needed to be of use.

I was no use to anyone weak, or worse, dead.

There was only one place I could think of, but the pure thought of going there made my skin crawl, as the only things I'd heard were nothing to be excited about.

A few years ago their numbers were barely in the twenties, now nobody knows how much their numbers have grown from nobody brave enough to cross into their lands, in fear of being killed on the spot.

Murderers, thieves, traitors to their packs... creatures of all kinds all led by one dangerous wolf, one who claimed the right as King, as he earned the respect and loyalty of those who chose to follow him.

Keial... the King of those outcasts.

I had always wondered what kind of person he was from how scared people had gotten just from mentioning his name, but not from the common reasons people usually thought of when his name came up.

No... it was like I was... impressed by him, someone I had never laid eyes on before.

By now, every creature and human knew his name for how strong, powerful, and dangerous he was, but still, that did not stop other creatures abandoned by their packs and families from seeking him out, for his protection.

All those abandoned, forgotten, and outcasted members of society were now part of his family because he allowed them to be, after passing one simple thing he asked of you.

Nobody knew what that 'ask' was, but that didn't stop people from guessing.

I can't help but get anxious at the thought of meeting him, and becoming part of his pack of outcasts, knowing that hours ago I was part of a community that thrived on family, and acceptance.

Until they didn't accept me, then threw me away like a used rag.

I had to find a way to get to his lands, but with only hearing gossip for the past few years, I didn't have the slightest idea which direction to go first, to find that land.

There were two things I knew, and that was that it was vast, and grand, covered by millions of trees, and mountains, and to get there, it wasn't an easy adventure... as the road was filled with creatures bigger, and stronger than I was... and that the place I needed to get to was called Forgotten Valley.

Slowing down to give my legs some rest, I looked around to check I was alone before bending down to get into my backpack to have a drink of water, and then to eat a few of the seeds, and berries I had scavenged along the way.

Then, as I go to close my bag, I hear a noise.

As I turned my head, I saw that it was too late to react and before I could raise my arm to protect myself, something hard hit me across the head.

*****

I felt something rough and hard kick me, making me stir awake and open my eyes.

"Hey, get up." A guy's rough irritated voice pierced my ears and made my head ring.

Whatever hit me over the head made me feel like I had just gone around with an Alpha wolf as I touched my head and then looked at my fingers, seeing a bright red had now stained the tips of my fingers.

I go to move, but something keeps me down, and when I blink my eyes a few more times, I see that something heavy and strong has pinned me down with its foot on my chest.

"That's far enough, wolf." His voice huffs, as I move my hand to cover the bright light of the sun blinding my eyes.

That's when I noticed the weapon in his hand, a sharp ax pointed directly at my neck, and the strong scent of a powerful wolf coming from the person above me.

When I regain some vision, I look at the person above me and then stop moving when I hear footsteps, and then a girl's voice.

"That's enough Gregor, he's not going to hurt me." An angry soft girl's voice says, as I slowly notice her coming to move around this large man named 'Gregor'.

Gregor huffed, then moved his large foot from my chest, whilst glaring down at me with a look in his eyes that watched my every move, as I went to stand onto my feet.

"I'm so sorry about Gregor." I look in front of me and see a girl, the same age as me smiling guiltily at me.

"These woods are dangerous, and you can never know who may or may not be a good person."

I simply nodded my head, feeling awkward talking to her whilst the man behind her glared with his red fiery eyes, praying for me to do something wrong just so he could kill me.

"How's your head?" She reaches out to touch me, but I back away the moment I see the murderous glint in Gregor's eyes.

"I'm fine... thank you." I clung to my backpack and shifted my gaze between the girl, and the big tall threatening guy.

"Come on, we're going to be late and I don't have time to deal with a mutt." The man Gregor said, huffing out and clenching his weapon tightly in his hand.

"Where are you heading?" The girl asked sweetly as I furrowed my brows at how nice she was being to me.

I could sense she had noticed I was 'outcast' from the look in her eye, and from the fact that I didn't feel comfortable telling her anything about me, or where I was going.

Trust no one... even pretty girls with scary guard dogs.

"You should come with us." She suddenly said, making me flinch as the man, Gregor, growled loudly.

"There's a place for people like us, a safe place where nobody will hurt you."

"What!?" Smoke almost came from his ears, as he glared fire my way, his whole body tense with pure hatred as he looked at me.

The girl smiled, avoiding her furious companion as she grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me along with her.

"Where..." I swallowed hard and avoided eye contact with the large, now red-in-the-face Gregor.

"Can I ask... um, what is this place called?" I asked her, as her big blue eyes turned around and shined at mine.

"Well, Forgotten Valley of course!"