Chapter 14

Gregor was just as relentless with training the next day, and even more so when the rest of the group would leave, as he'd make me stay back to continue with training.

Was this punishment because he didn't like me?

He would have to be a spiteful dog to think I would make a move, let alone try to take someone's mate from them, especially a girl.

"You're not even trying, are you?" Gregor's irritated voice sighs out, making me stop and glare at him, trying not to die from exhaustion as I pick myself up from the ground again, bloodied and bruised.

Why was he even training me? If he hated me this much.

Flashback

"Niff, stay, I'm not done with you yet." Gregor grabbed my shoulder, keeping me put as I turned and looked at him in disbelief.

What?!

No way... he had to be joking...

Was he actually messing with me?

"Haven't you had en-" I held my tongue and groaned out, too tired to argue with this person.

"Why? You let everyone else go, at this rate, I'm going to die before the test." I said seriously, as he looked at me pitifully with crossed arms.

He glared coldly at me and threw a wooden sword at me, which landed next to my feet. "If you have time to complain, you have time to shut your mouth and train."

"Pick up your sword, I don't have all fucking day."

End of flashback

I was starting to seriously wonder how nobody had killed this guy yet, not only was everything out of his mouth an insult, but he barely smiled, and constantly belittled and insulted the rest of the group, including me.

What was Zeri was doing with this meathead, I'll never know.

We'd been at this for two hours, and it was starting to get dark, my whole body was aching and all I wanted to do was pass out in my bed.

The fighting skill between me and Gregor was no match, I was nowhere near being as good as him at hand-to-hand combat, never mind sword combat.

A part of me thought he just liked to hit me and kick my ass, it looked like he was enjoying this way too mucheach time he knocked me down.

"Let's call it a day, I have better things to be doing than knocking you on your ass all night, as amusing as it's been."

What.an.asshole.

I rub my face and head back to the castle, but Gregor makes me pause when I hear him talk to me.

"A friendly reminder, before you go, Niff." He starts, as I turn around to look at him, to see that he now looked serious, as he looked me in the eye.

"I don't know what your relationship with Keial is, but if you want to survive next week, you need to seriously think if this is what you really want." He tells me, making me flinch.

Did he-?

"He is not someone you should get close to, without knowing fully what you signed up for."

*****

I made it back to my room, and amazingly without falling asleep on the way here.

I kick my shoes off by my bed and then collapse on the hard yet comfortable mattress as I give my tired and sore muscles a much-needed break.

Even though I was too tired to think, what Gregor said before he walked away, was playing over and over in my head, making me feel more on edge than the thought of going one on one against a daywalker.