Chapter 11

I didn't see Keial for the rest of the day, or the day after, but I did overhear how he came back from the hunt with blood on his face, satisfied with what he and his companions had hunted.

It's been three days since then, and not one person had mentioned Vicrim, or his friends not being around anymore, it was almost like people chose to forget, or that they simply didn't care.

I took this as an opportunity to learn about the rules, and just like every pack, you had rules you had to follow, to remain a member and to have all the perks that came with being in that pack.

Forgotten Valley rules were pretty straightforward.

1. Any form of violence is punishable and could mean death, depending on the form of violence

2. No one was to enter the Valley without permission from either the King or someone high up on the food chain of power within the city

And the last, but not least, and the only one that made me uncomfortable.

3. You had to pass a test given to you by the King, to remain in the city you had to pass, fail and you could be thrown out

So far, nobody had even mentioned anything like a test to me, not even Keial, which made me worried as I wondered every time I did my chores about what this test could be.

I always felt Keial was testing me every time he opened his mouth, did that even count?

Hah, I doubt it.

As much as I wanted to feel something for Keial, I still couldn't forget who he was, and what he was.

He was dangerous, and he was not someone to be relaxed around, as I'm sure nobody knew what he was thinking, which made me want to lay low even more right now.

Even if we did have sex, I didn't trust him, and he didn't trust me, it was so fucked up but I couldn't deny that something was there between us.

Why else would he not let me take a moment of rest?

*****

It's been six days since I last saw Keial, and word amongst the other servants was that he wasn't even in the city, and had not been since he came back from the hunt.

This whole time I had been on edge, scared about running into him, but then again, I did think it was strange.

I was his personal servant, and not once had he called for me.

I must be so stupid, I was so worried about seeing him that I didn't even realize the obvious.

What was I so scared of?

The words he whispered to me played over and over in my head, his sweet yet believable 'I'd never hurt you' and ever since that night and for a split moment... I had believed him,

Until I woke up the next day, bruised and broken, unable to sit down on my ass for the next two days without wincing.

Ahhh.. I didn't want to get mixed up with him anymore, I just wanted to lay low, do my job, and start a fresh new life here, maybe even make some friends.

Friends...

How does someone even make friends in this place?

"Hey, Felix, you've been summoned by the King." Another servant says, as I stop what I'm doing and drop the cloth back into the bucket.

The King- Keial wanted to see me?

When did he get back? Nobody told me anything.

I go to open my mouth to thank him, but he has already walked away, making me sigh and accept that now isn't the time to try and make friends.