Chapter 41

I heard voices in my head, familiar, comforting voices, guiding me back, but back where I didn't understand.

My mom, and dad were standing in front of me, and as usual, they were sitting in the garden and squeezing lemons into a cup, for me and my little brother, who leaned over the table impatiently.

It all felt so real, as I reached out and tried to touch them once again, but as much as I wanted this to be real, it wasn't.

After all, I had buried this memory so far down, I had completely forgotten all about them.

I didn't know if I was dead, or simply stuck in this cruel nightmare, as every second that I looked at my family, the more I felt like screaming out their names, to warn them.

This memory that almost destroyed me... and the events that almost killed me.

Yes... just like Zeri almost did.

Werewolves with a gene similar to a nightwalker, they're so rare that not many people know about them until something causes them extreme stress and awakens that part of them.

We called them Sleepers, but they went by many names, and one was 'monster'.

My mother was also a sleeper, and if not for what happened that day... my mom, dad, and little brother might still be alive today.

As if I was living this nightmare all over again, I watch as the raiders step out of the forest, holding their weapons and heading to our house, towards where my parents, and brother stood, making me turn around to look into the window of my old house and stare at my young self, seeing this for the first time.

'Felix, do not come out unless I say so' I remember my dad telling me through our bond.

Then it all happened so fast, in a blink of an eye.

I watched my dad die from a single blow to the skull from an ax and then watched my mother and she turned into what I knew as a 'sleeper', a monster of extreme strength, agility, and a ferocious urge to kill.

She attacked the raiders without so much hesitation and killed them almost instantly, I then watched as I heard my voice ring through the air as I stared at what my mom had set her sights on.

My little brother.

Before I reached the front door, it was all too late, I was too slow, too weak, and too afraid.

I couldn't save my brother.

I couldn't save Max.

Before my mom could smell my scent, and attack me, just like last time, I watched as the Alpha of the pack killed my mom before she could kill me, and in that moment, all I remember feeling was how much I wished he didn't stop her.

I buried this pain down, so far down that I felt almost numb, and once I found out there was an antidote, a way to stop the transformation and control it, I had sworn to myself that I would save them, no matter who they were.

I didn't want anyone to feel what I felt.

When the scene in front of me vanishes like white mist in front of my eyes and then becomes clear again moments later, I look around and see that I was lying down, in what looked like a fancy patient room.

Where was I? But most importantly, where was Zeri?

I felt weak, and every part of my body hurt so badly that once I moved to sit up, I almost threw up.

I had to find Zeri, if Keial finds her first... there is no saying what he'd do to her if he hadn't done it already.

Even though I felt weak, I could smell his scent all over me, and whilst it brought me comfort, the moment I put my bare feet on the ground, I could hear Keial's voice in my head, and most of all, I could sense how angry he was.

He was so mad, that there'd be no way of knowing if he felt me awake or not.

I grabbed the nearest robe and put it on, and followed the scent of Keial, and my instinct to where I could find him, but then something made me almost stop, as harsh words filled my head.

'You've been a disappointment since the day you were born...'

I leaped open the door, stumbled into the hallway, and rushed as fast as I could to where Keial was, my heart beating out of my chest as his raw emotions flowed into me, making me feel as though I was the one being choked.

I had to save her, if not for herself, but for me.

I couldn't be weak and useless again, this time I could help, and save a friend's life.

I found the room where Keial's scent, along with Zeri and gregors radiated from, and once I was sure they were inside there from Keial's deep, intimidating, and lethal tone, I took a deep breath and opened the door.

"You are nothing to me, and never will be, you will always be unwanted here." Keial looked down at Zeri, who was crying, curled into a ball on the floor.

Gregor was barely holding himself back, as Keial had complete authority from how strong his pheromones were, it was almost too much to take, but this had to stop, Keial had to stop before he did something he would later regret.

"Please... stop this."

Until now, no one had sensed my presence, or my scent, but once I speak, all eyes look to me, and I flinch as I look at Keial's eyes and see just how close he was to doing the unthinkable.

"Felix." His tone was sharp, yet his eyes softened and his face faulted as he stared back at me.

"You're... awake."

I never thought I'd see Keial again, I had accepted what had happened and was satisfied knowing that Keial was my mate, if only for a few days, I was happy with that.

But looking at him now, there is no way I agree with that anymore, I had been so scared of being alone for so long, that I forgot how it feels to have someone waiting for you, excited to see you and to love you.

I swallow hard and step further into the room, ignoring the overflowing urge to throw myself into his warm embrace as I pull my eyes from his, to go kneel in front of a frail, broken Zeri.

"Zerina." I softly spoke the nickname she once told me she wished her friends would call her.

It catches her attention, as her wide, beautiful innocent tear soaked eyes look up at me, so helpless and alone, just like my mom's before she shifted, and died.

I sense Keial come up behind me and then reach out to touch me.

"Felix, get away from her, she's-"

I reach out and grasp Zeri's pale small, bony hand, and then smile, the best I can at her, ignoring Keial and his pleas for me to move away from her.

"I know what you are, and I can help you, you're not alone," I tell her, making her eyes go wide.

"Please." I squeeze her hand and then turn my head to look up at Keial, his fiery golden eyes looking down at me, swirling with anguish.

"I can save her." I spoke quietly, making Keial's eye twitch, and Gregor moved to help his mate, Zeri up from the ground.

"How can you save her?" Gregor asked as I stood to my feet, not missing the way Gregor glared at me, as he stood protectively in front of Zeri.

"What could you possibly know about her condition? I am her mate, and even I have tried everything and failed, as have countless healers!"

I knew he'd say that, after all, I had not told anyone about my family, yet even if I did... I'd still have those same nightmares plaguing my every dream.

"I know because..." I pause, a vision of my mom smiling, staring back at me as she stood next to Gregor.

"My mom... was also a sleeper but also a gifted healer, and before she and the rest of my family died, I found her journal with an antidote."

"She..." I take a deep breath and look at Zeri. "She didn't know she was a sleeper unless it was too late, but it's not too late for Zeri, I have her journal in my bag with everything you will need to make the medicine."

"I can stop this from ever happening again."