Chapter 30

"You did your job remarkably well, even though I was skeptical of your ability, you have left me impressed."

What was Keial saying to me right now?

It's... over?

"Whatever you want, no matter the price, I will provide and keep my end of the bargain, just tell me what it is, and I'll make it so."

Keial was looking at me, but something was different, and while I expected this day to come, right now I didn't expect it to be this very moment.

My name was cleared and I was... free to leave... So then why, why did Keial look... sad?

I didn't understand, all this time, since I agreed to this messed up relationship with him, Keial had belittled me, threatened me, and even made it clear that he was not someone I could disrespect.

He had killed someone in front of me, used me, and more so, humiliated me the first time he met me.

So, why?

Why....

"It's over then." I swallowed hard, sitting up straight and staring at the spot between his feet.

"I..." I look at him and ignore the clenching pain I feel in my chest as I look into his eyes.

"Thank you." I swallowed hard and gripped the bedsheet beside me.

It was over, there was nothing left to say, whatever I did say from here on out, I would only embarrass myself further, and be a laughing stock.

If this was the end, then I wanted to leave with my head held high and stick to my word, 'just business. nothing personal'.

"Then... I only want one thing, my things... I didn't get them back, and uh... to say goodbye to my friends." I said emotionlessly, moving to get out of bed and pick up my clothes to put them on.

"Is that all?" He asked, as I robotically dressed myself, not looking his way.

"Yes."

The silence was too much, my heart was breaking into a million pieces, and it was all my fault for letting myself get too attached to this person, this person who is out of reach, and for good reason.

I had been a fool, a stupid ... stupid fool.

"So, you plan to leave this place?" He asked, his voice strange as I nodded my head, and pulled up my trousers, trying my best not to look in his direction.

"Where will you go?"

"What will you do?"

"How will you hunt alone?"

"How will you survive outside these walls?"

I didn't answer him, because I didn't know, all I did know was that if this was over, I couldn't be here.

"You don't have to leave just because this pretend relationship is over, I can provide you a place to live, a job if you wish, and servants of your own." Keial walked over to me until I felt him stand behind me, making me flinch.

"And why would I do that?" I mumbled, putting my shirt over my head.

"Because I'm here!" Keial grabbed my shoulder roughly and made me turn around to face him.

Keial looked at how I felt, which looked bizarre to me as I had never seen this man.

This powerful King looked anything but that, powerful, confident, and scared of nothing, but that was not who stood in front of me.