Chapter 33

What... was I even doing here?

I had shown up at Keial's 30th birthday celebration, and as I stood outside the gates awaiting to give my name to get access to the party, I couldn't help but feel sick with nerves.

I didn't sleep at all last night, I kept going over everything in my head as to why I should, and shouldn't go to his birthday celebration.

The big reason I shouldn't was because I hadn't even spoken to him in weeks and the reason I should was well... because he was still my mate, a mate I hadn't rejected.

Ugh, seriously, my palms were sweating and the brand-new, extremely overpriced clothes I wore made me feel uncomfortable as the rich fabric wasn't something I was used to.

It was so itchy and every movement I made, made me want to rip the clothes off my skin.

I had spent every coin I had left to buy something remotely 'grand' for his birthday, and looking around at his guests, I made the right call.

Everyone was so tall, and beautiful, dressed in their best wear with jewels that shone so bright that it became obvious that I was way out of my depth.

I looked so ordinary, that I had already earned a few strange looks from the other guests.

Yeah, I get it, I'm not as tall, or good-looking, nor do I have money pouring out of my pockets.

Has it always been like this, these stares?

When I was with Keial, I never noticed, or perhaps I didn't even care, because when he was near me, I didn't even notice anyone else but him.

It was different now... I wasn't exactly with him.

I was second in line now, and now I felt like I was seriously going to throw up as I could hear the festivities grow louder from inside as I watched another couple be allowed inside the palace doors.

What if I wasn't on the list?

Dammit, I didn't even think about that.

Should I just leave the line and leave, what was I even thinking, coming here and expecting to just walk through those doors as I lived there?

"Next." The guard alerts me, making me flinch as I take a step forward, before releasing a shaky breath.

If I turned around now, everyone would snicker and laugh, but if my name wasn't on the list... how would that humiliation be any worse?

"Name?" The guard asks, looking down at me and then to the scoff of parchment in his hands.

Fuck it, I might as well try.

"Felix." My heart was beating like crazy.

"Felix what?" He asked, as I heard the snickers of those behind me, directed at me.

Oh, right, I forgot, nobody knew me by just my name, I wasn't important enough, not even remotely.

"Felix Woodlock."

The guard's eyes searched the parchment paper, for what felt like an eternity, then raised his head and nodded his head.

"You may enter." He said, then stepped out of the way.

"Collection of masks are available once inside."

I looked back at him to ask what he meant by 'masks' but the guard started looking for the next person's name on the list.

The doors to the palace opened, and once I stepped foot inside, the overwhelming scent of Keial had become too strong to ignore, that and the mixture of his scent and the powerful beings that were currently inside this grand palace.

The inside of the palace had been completely unrecognizable, it felt like I had stepped foot into a different world entirely.

Everything was so grand and looked so expensive, I almost couldn't believe my eyes, as I tried to think back to how it all looked before I left this place.

I really can't believe I'm here right now, or that my name was on the list.

Did Keial hope that I would show?

Or was it just a coincidence?

Either way, I was starting to grow nervous now that I was here, inside, and smelling his scent for the first time since I saw him, which only now was worse, after becoming a part of his pack.

I followed behind those who had walked inside and stopped at a man wearing a masquerade mask covering his face, with multiple different masks behind him, not one of them the same as the other.

"Sir, what would you like this evening?" The masked man asked, as I nervously looked behind him.

One had caught my eye, so I had pointed to it.

It was a simple mask, covering my eyes, but yet unlike the others, it had wolf ears attached to the top, which instantly made me want it.

Once I got the mask, I put it on and followed the others down the hall, and once I did that, I knew that there was no turning back now, I was here.

Keial's scent was everywhere, and I didn't know when, or where I'd see him, but one thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to see him.

I wanted to be here, even if I felt like I didn't belong in his world.

Keial was here.

*****

I was inside... but...

Everyone was wearing a mask, and there was just no way of telling who was who as I didn't recognize a single person.

Although I had gotten my sense of smell back, the entire room was filled with different scents, all belonging to different powerful creatures, Keial's was also here, somewhere in this room.

I just didn't know where he was.

I was getting nervous now, he could be anywhere, and I wouldn't know it.

Would he be happy to see me, once he realized I had come?

Or would he want me to leave?

I felt so stupid, I had gotten myself so worked up over this that I had spent the entire day, leading up until this event, trying to make myself look good, but for what?

I even got him a gift, but seeing this place, and these people... I might've just made a complete fool of myself.

Keial has all of this, what could he possibly even want that he doesn't already have?

Plus, the gift I had gotten him was far from extravagant and expensive, if anything, it was probably trash, compared to the other gifts he's gotten tonight.

Seriously... What was I even thinking?

The music had started, and those who wanted to dance made their way onto the ballroom floor, whilst others, including me, moved to the sides and watched from the sidelines.

Everything was like a dream, this party... this place... once upon a time I'd dreamed of coming to such a thing, now that I was here, all I wanted to do was to turn around, and run away.

No... I had to stay.

I came to see Keial, even if it's only for a moment, and even maybe... get a chance to talk to him.

After all, I had weeks to think of what I was going to say to him, I was ready to see him again... and I wasn't going to let that opportunity pass.

"Well, I'd recognize that ass from anywhere." A deep voice tickles my ear, making me flinch, cover my ear, and turn around, my heart beating out of my chest.

When I turned around, the first thing I noticed was his hair, then his pointy ears, and then that smile, which made me connect the dots.

"Arlen?"

He grins, and then with a single motion, he tips his mask just enough for me to see his face, the familiar beautiful, pale, feminine, yet intimidating face that I never thought I'd see again.

"The one and only."