Chapter 23

"Arlen." Keial's voice made the room turn silent.

'Arlen' the elven man didn't look fazed by the sudden shift in the air due to Keial's mood change, if anything, he seemed amused looking at Keial standing in front of me.

"I did not expect you to show your face." Keial scoffed, his eyes going back to normal as he looked down at Arlen.

"Not after I sent your assassins back to you, one limb at a time."

Arlen laughed and then smiled as his eyes went back and forth between Keial's and mine, amusement swirling inside of them.

Arlen tried to kill Keial?

I had no idea what was happening here, but I desperately wanted to be kept out of whatever dangerous game this was.

I knew the history between King Keial and the elves wasn't the best, if anything, since the war and the death of the leader of the woodland elves, they have never been on good terms, even if it did 'end' the fighting.

"Well, what can I say? I do enjoy these... gatherings, to see how the other side lives, and after I heard the great King Keial, demon of the battlefield and the devil himself had taken a lover..."

"I'm glad I came, Felix has made the journey worth the trouble." He grinned, his pink eyes staring at me with curiosity.

A chill went through my body as it felt like his eyes were undressing me, but even I knew Arlen was simply doing it to get a reaction from Keial, who looked like he was ready to start another war.

"I didn't realize you came so far, just to flirt with a boy." Keial's hard eyes stared Arlen down, as Arlen shrugged.

"Not just any boy I hear."

The space between Arlen and Keial had gotten worse, and the overpowering scent of power emitting from both of them was making it difficult to breathe, not only for me but also for the guests.

"T-Thank you for coming despite the journey, Arlen." I break the silence before I pass out from the thick tension of two very strong creatures.

I was stupid for doing this, but if they fought now, this would only end badly.

"You m-must be tired, I know I am..." I laugh awkwardly, as Arlen and Keial focus on me.

I felt stupid, just when I didn't want to get mixed up in their business, I did without realizing it.

Yet, the tension was leaving, and now Keial only looked pissed, whilst Arlen looked amused, which was better than them seconds away from fighting it out in front of all these wealthy, powerful, and beautiful people.

"Yes, I am quite tired." Arlen sighs, as two elven guards appear behind Arlen, dressed in fine thin armor.

Suddenly, Arlen reached out and grabbed my hand then bent down to kiss my hand, his mischievous eyes on mine as I heard Keial growl warningly, which only made Arlen chuckle.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Felix, and I do hope we meet again, I'd very much like to know more about you." He smiled politely, letting go of my hand and taking a step back to half-bow.

"Your Majesty, thank you for the invitation and... until next time."

Keial simply glared coldly at Arlen, as Arlen smiled warmly and then waved back to the guests, who were whispering amongst themselves at the horror at what they just witnessed.

With that, Arlen turned around and left just as quickly as he appeared, and once he was completely gone, everything went back to normal, but Keial, as he stood glaring at the door Arlen left behind.