Nihilister - 1

*I sit down with Nihilister at the bonfire on the surface*

Nihilister: I don't get it.

Commander: ??

Nihilister: What's with all this commotion at your place? Shooting and popping explosions in the sky while there is nothing there. Did you people get bored or something?

Commander: It's a celebration on the first day of the calendar year.

Nihilister: Celebration? First day of the Year?

*I explain to her about the human's traditional event at the first day of the calendar year*

Nihilister: Hm...New Year, huh.

*Nihilister closes her eyes, she seems to be in thoughts. I wonder if she is recalling a memory from her time as a Nikke*

Nihilister: So what you are saying that today is the very first day of the new year. And this is the Year of the Dragon.

Commander: *Nodding*

Nihilister: Heh. interesting.

Commander: *Checking the time* Now we just have to wait for the first sunrise.

Nihilister: A ceremonious event that only humans and Nikkes enjoy. My side has never had that. Is it just that and nothing to gain?

Commander: It brings good luck.

Nihilister: You seriously believe that watching a fireball rising over the horizon will help you surviving this war down the line? How utterly pointless.

Commander: It's a fun activity. You should try.

Nihilister: *Silently grunting* Where are you planning to watch it?

Commander: *Pointing at the mountain in the distance* The Sun will appear at that place in a couple hours. We can watch it from this spot.

Nihilister: You intend to wait that long? Are you being a fool?

Commander: ??!?!

*Nihilister suddenly wraps my body with her tail*

Nihilister: This is my year. The one who will see the first sign of sunrise will be me. You tag along.

Commander: Nihilister, it doesn't necessary work like that!

*Nihilister soars to the sky, bringing me with her to the top of the mountain range. My voice nearly cracks after the whole ride is over. I want to talk to her more about the New Year's Day once we have watched the sunrise.*