Snow White - 2 (Lost)

Nightfall, I move along the bank of a grand canal leading through the ruined city. There are no clouds, the Moon is exceptionally bright tonight. I can almost see the bottom of the waterway passage, dozen of fish are swimming in there.

"Fresh food." I mutter.

I bet Snow White would say something similar if she was here.

For a long while, this has been a quiet walk. No Raptures within sight, no wandering animals. I check my phone and radio multiple times, it seems like a larger part of the city is heavily infested with Alva Particles. The dead silence from my equipment fills me with eerie tingles, I won't try to ignore it. It's thanks to these type of feelings that makes me keep up my guard.

A collapsed bridge comes to my sight. I come into a place where makeshift tents lined up all the way to the other end of the canal. This part of the street must had been used as a refugee camp back in the old days when humans were living on the surface. Some tents are still standing, slightly torn off while others broke down.

I decide to take my stop and enter one of the tents to rest. As I am inside, traces of the people who used to live here continue to linger. The trash, the bottles, the clothes, the backpack and even the sleeping bag are still here. They left behind all of these items, they must had been in a hurry, desperate to get away from the war against Raptures.

I rest my backpack in the corner and take the sleeping bag outside, clearing off the dust.

There are bunch of leftover clothes around here, enough to make a small fire for a short time. I gather them all in front of the tent and reach into my pocket for the lighter. The evening isn't that cold. I would lie to myself if I said I didn't miss the warmth of a campfire.

Snow White: I know it isn't ideal for a human to sleep in the cold without any source of warmth.

For a moment, I flinch. Snow White's words come to my mind like a reminder.

Snow White: As you've already aware, Raptures can detect heat signal. We should refrain from creating anything that can attract their attention. Endure the night, it's the only thing I can say.

The tiny spark of fire rises from the lighter in my hand. I bring it close to my face to feel a little bit of that warmth. Afterward, I close shut the cover, extinguishing my only source of fire. I scatter the clothes around the sleeping bag and hop into it. I keep my bulletproof vest on, the handgun held firmly in my hand, safety lock turned on and finger stays outside the trigger.

Snow White: Here. You can use my cloak, I turn off the heat mode but it should have some residue temperature left which can help you. Be sure not to turn it back on though, I'll be on the watch for any potential threat.

As I close my eyes, I recall Snow White lending me her cloak. I remember wrapping it around me and felt safe thanks to it.