Nihilister - 8 (Pilgrim - Raid Boss)

It's the Raid Season. Simulation Rooms are packed in these days.

Sigh.

Nihilister attends the advice session today, but she lets out a soft sigh and hasn't spoken a word. She seems to be upset about something.

"What's wrong?" I break the ice.

At my question, fiery crimson eyes lock my gaze, less than a glare but fierce nonetheless.

"No, I'm not okay." She said. "Rather, I'm furious. You wanna know the reason?"

I slowly lean back on my seat and point at myself. I would be lying if I had no doubts about my recent performances during missions and that somehow annoyed her.

"No, not you. You've done nothing to upset me."

When she closes her eyes, briefly occupied by the irritated thoughts in her mind, I wipe the cold sweats on my forehead. Phew! Glad that's not the case!

"It's about the other 'me' we fought yesterday in the Simulation Room." She revealed.

"Ah. The Raid Boss."

Nihilister grits her teeth.

"That's right! I know it's just a simulated copy of my Heretic self. But why the hell is it so weak?! Even in the Dragon Form, it didn't prove much of a challenge! I don't remember ever being such an easy target."

Listening to her vent, I begin to understand some parts of her anger.

Occasionally, Raid Seasons come about as a test to examine Commanders and their Nikke Squads' performance in simulated high-risk operations such as a large scale raid.

At the end of these tests, a Tyrant-class Rapture is selected to be the Raid Boss. This is possible by the data humanity has collected from encounters on the surface, including my squad's.

The first Raid Seasons hadn't been well-received due to the large gap of power requirement between the squads and the Boss. Experience and preparation also become a factor. Demonstrating a Tyrant-class Rapture's power with realism proved to be a huge problem against those who lack all those qualifications.

Lots of the squads didn't make it pass the few first levels of the test, which brought doubts into the teaching of the Military Academy. This resulted in a change, the difficulty of the Raid Seasons have been lowered. The cruelest monsters out there were eventually reduced to docile target practices. The higher levels only manage so much as mediocre challenges.

With her Heretic Form being used as the Boss for the ongoing season, these simulated raid operations diminished her actual combat power. The ruthless image of her past self has been made to look weak.

To someone who is prideful and proud of her strength, Nihilister can't accept that. She sees this as an insult.

"Your combat data was scaled down so others can stand a chance." I explain.

"You don't get it. That's no reason to make it so weak in comparison to me, the real deal. That thing in the Simulation Room is barely a threat." Nihilister crosses her arms with a huff. "You've seen my actual strength. I didn't make it easy for your squad, you know perfectly how dangerous I can be."

In the past, Nihilister the Heretic was a walking disaster. She might have been drunk in the power of destruction and the ability called Healing Factor. By no mean she took it for granted to be a target practice. She would not entertain the enemies. She'd fight for the thrill of battles. She'd charge straight at Nikke squads and Raptures, burn everything to a crisp.

"Like I'm going to let them get a laugh in the middle of the fight."

Nihilister grunts as she recalls the other teams mocked her simulated copy mid-battle.

"If it makes you feel better, I'll ask Einkk to increase the difficulty."

She gives a nod of her head.

"You do that. Those puny humans need to be taught a good lesson about a Heretic's strength. You let yourself get pampered too much and there will be consequences when the real thing happens."

Somewhat calming down, she throws back into the chair. It's one of those rare occasions I've seen her being this talkative.

There must be something else that bugs her.

"That's not all, isn't it?"

"Damn right it isn't."

I hit right on the nail.

"They're in the same profession as you. They should either learn properly how to face threats like me, get wrecked, get back up and try again or step aside for someone who is more fitting for the job. You don't walk off unscathed after facing me before and so should those puny humans."

"They'll learn sooner or later. The next levels of the test will make them think twice."

"Huh.....next levels. Since you'll ask the Little Elf to change it, I will say no more. However, don't mistake my vent for the way she's portrayed me to satisfy the egos of your kind."

"Okay, I get it. It's about how your Heretic Form is made so weak others didn't put in any effort. That copy were supposed to reflect your true strength."

"..."

"What?"

Nihilister shoots a glare which confuses me. I don't think I've missed the point of her frustration though.

"That's just half of the issue." She said.

"There's more?"

She clicks the tongue, a hand rushes through her hair, causing the odd lock to sway. She looks even more irritated at my question, but that sight is just......cute.

"So you still don't get it."

"More context, please."

"That 'me' in the Simulation Room is the data collected from our encounters, between you, your squad and me. Tampered, altered and skipped all that which was the proof of your achievement against me when I was still a Heretic."

Oh, now I get it. Half of the reason she's upset is because...

"Because they're downplaying what you've gone through to bring me back to this side."

"I'm fine with it."

"Well, I'm not!"

After raising her voice, Nihilister subtly flinches and regains the composure.

"Remember, Human. I acknowledge you. That's your achievement. That's why we are able to have this conversation together. You'd struggled and I consider the values of your efforts."

She breaks our eye-contact, fixing her glance sideway.

"Don't let others make light of the fact that I'm here because of you."

My reaction to this is part of the reason made her upset. I didn't think much and acted so nonchalantly before a test that twisted by the inflated egos of those who're not yet willing to accept the existences far more terrifying than Raptures.

At this moment, someone who was formerly a part of that kind of existence has pointed out that naïve part of me.

".....Thanks."

"Now you get it."

She pouts at my slow realization. Regardless, I smile. I can tell her fume is gradually lessened.