Chapter 16 : Spaces Between Us

Tuesday
9:30am
Toby

"Thank you for agreeing to do this. " Yvonne shoots me a small smile

"You shouldn't be thanking me. I should be thanking you. You're an amazing woman Yvonne. I'm sorry about all this but thank you for giving me a chance at clarity."

"I am quite amazing arent I?" She chuckles " we are helping each other. No matter the outcome we will still be a weirdly blended family. And no matter the outcome we will remain civil, friendly and at peace especially for the sake of our children who will be siblings" she says happily and I nod

"You're right" I still feel bad about this

I haven't spoken to Spencer since the pregnancy reveal. I'm sure she's pissed at me.

And then I feel like crap doing this to Yvonne.

My mom wouldn't be proud of the man I am right now. I'm not even proud of it.

I gotta get my head sorted out.

"I love you Toby. Stay safe. And please keep in touch" she says sincerely as she hugs me tightly

I hug her back "I couldn't imagine my life without you. So trust me I will be talking to you everyday" I say truthfully.

I see her smile and it looks actually genuine like it's from the heart.

"That makes me happy to hear"

"Oh and I love you Yvonne. I really do" I say locking eyes with her

She kisses my cheek before letting me go.

I grab my bags and put them in my car, waving a finely goodbye to Yvonne before getting in the car and leaving the driveway.

I told Caleb what's going on. Ezra knows a bit. He's a bit judgmental despite the fact that his relationship started illegally. I just feel closer to Caleb on this.

Thankfully he and Hanna are glad to host me and Tyler is ecstatic because he loves me. 

He's a special little boy that one.

I head to work.

That's one thing about adult life nobody tells you about when you're a kid. No matter what the hell is going on in your life, you gotta suck it up and go to work. In school yes when life is hard you still have to do your work but like if something is going on there are councillors to talk to, excuses sometimes that'll excuse your mistakes. Not in adult life.

Being an adult sucks for the most part if I'm being honest.

Hanna
4pm

"You okay girl?" Aria asks Spencer

"Mhm" she nods starring off blankly

"Spencer you're Obviously not okay. What happened?" Alison asks

I shake my head "nothing I'm just thinking about life that's all. I'm allowed to have a down day yeah?" She sarcastically says

"Cut the crap Spencer. We know you, we've known you for like a decade now. We know this is about Toby so what happened? We are your friends, no judgment, we are always here for you. We are here to listen and to be supportive but also to be honest. But if you can't tell us who can you tell?" I question sternly.

She sits up, making eye contact with me.

"Toby isn't the Toby I knew. And now I'm no longer the person I wanted to be"