Chapter 31- Wake Up

Toby
2:45am

"Mr Cavanaugh" I hear a faint voice call

"Hmm" i hum, sleep calling for me

God I'm exhausted

"You guys can go in now. Eloisa was put into a room" a nurse says to me and I'm instantly awake.

"Is there anything we should know about how she looks so we can prepare before we head in?" i ask knowing Spencer will flip, and i will too

She checks her chart.

"She is in the ICU"

"She didn't wake up yet?"

"No and her breathing got slower so the doctor put a tube in her throat to breathe for her." she explains and my heart breaks for Elissa

I can't help but feel some what responsible.

I know Marilyn's complications come from being a premie baby, but having 2 out of 3 of my babies hospitalized with health issues feels like I'm the common problem.

I hate it. I'd switch places with them in a split second.

"Okay" I nod. Not sure what else I should say

"Just go straight down there then turn left. Its the big door with foggy glass on the right that says 'ICU' pick up the phone, tell them who you are looking to see and how much people are with you. Only 4 allowed at a time. There is a private waiting room across from it with food, a t.v and toys for the kids right at the end of that hall"

"Thank you" i say and she gives me a small smile before walking away

"Hey, Spence" i whisper quietly to wake only her up.

"Huh?"

"Come with me"

"Whats wrong?" she asks when we get into the hallway.

"We can go see her but before we go i have to tell you, the nurse said she was having difficulty breathing so they put a tube down her throat to help her breathe

She pauses before nodding.

"Okay"

We walk to the door hand in hand, nervous on what we will find.

"Hello" the lady answers

"Hi, we're here to see Elissa Cavanaugh" I say

"Sorry, because it's late i'll have to know who's seeing her?"

I look at my phone to see that it's 2:54 a.m.

I didn't know it was that late, well early.

"That's fine. We are her Parents, Spencer Hastings and Toby Cavanaugh"

"thank you. She is in room 4. Come in" she says and unlocks the door.

We walk through the doors, fingers still intertwined as we search for room 4.

When we approach the big brown door we both stop. Scared to go inside.

I'm trying to stay strong for Spencer but I feel like I'm a moment away from breaking.

It's too much too fast.

Yvonne,
My baby,
Elissa,

All within the same week.

For goodness sakes I'm still not even over my mothers death and she died almost 12 years ago.

But I feel bad to not be strong for Spencer, she's been through this journey since the beginning so I know she's a mess, I need to be her support.