✨ c h a p t e r o n e ✨

My throat was burning. It was practically on fire. My eyes opened. I could see nothing but twinkling lights - no, stars. My ears started accustoming to my surrounding. I could hear the waves crashing. I squinted as the rain kept hitting my face, making it hard for me to look up at the sky.

Go to your happy place.

I closed my eyes, letting the sound of the waves calm me down.

When I reopened them, I was met with a pair of electric blue eyes. I had a weakness for beautiful eyes. I made sure to tell people they did; I wanted to make sure they appreciated their sight.

"You have beautiful eyes," I croaked. My voice was hoarse.

The man/teenager in front of me narrowed his eyes. He shook his head, mumbling something under his breath. I took the time to study his familiar features.

He had light brown hair and, of course, amazing blue eyes, and a faint scar right above his left eyebrow. He licked his lips, biting his bottom one for a moment before glancing at me.

"I save your life and all you have to say is that I have beautiful eyes?" he snapped. Something inside of me snapped.

He saved me.

"You asshole!" I spat, pushing away from his quickly. I scrambled to my feet, ignoring how cold I was, as I pointed a finger at him. "You fucking pulled me out!" He stared at me as if I had two heads. When he didn't speak, I felt my walls crumbling.

No, please, oh god, no.

I gripped my hair, crouching down and tucking my head in between my knees.

Stop it Abby, get a fucking grip!

Hot, angry tears ran down my face. He fucking saved me. I wanted to thrash something, I wanted to do something violent. I needed to let out.

"What the hell is your problem?!" he snapped. I ignored him, hugging my legs to my chest as I silently cried. "I fucking saved your ass and you're blaming me?! What kind of stupid shit is that?!" I grit my teeth together, my hands balling into a fist. I dug my nails into my palms as I cried.

Why, why, why?

You don't deserve to live.

No one wants you here.

It's better off to be dead Abigail.

"Will you fucking answer me?" I wiped away my angry tears, looking up at the guy. He was staring at me intently. His cold exterior soon crumbled once he saw my horrendous face.

"Get the fuck away from me," I spat. He looked taken aback.

"No," he said, quite calmly. It pissed me off.

"Get the hell away from me." I was seething. I wanted - no, needed to be alone.

"I'm taking you home." I let out a humorless laugh.

"Like hell you are." His glare was back.

"I am trying to help you," he said slowly, trying hard to not blow up on me. It was clear as glass I was playing with his patience. At the moment, I couldn't care less.

"I never asked for your fucking help, let alone anyone's. So do us both a favor and get lost."

"Why are you such an ungrateful bitch?!"

That shut me up. I stared at him. I watched how his shoulders raised and lowered as he breathed. He clenched and unclenched his right fist repeatedly while running his fingers through his messy hair.

"Get the fuck up," he said. "I'm not taking no for a goddamn answer or else I'm going to carry you."

Go kill yourself.

No one needs you.

I shut my eyes, digging my face into my knees as I kept battling my own mind.

Stop it, stop it, stop it.

"Go." I said it barely above a whisper, hoping he heard.

"No." I stayed down. I felt the familiar clenching of my heart. My breaths were coming out short and arrhythmic. I was hyperventilating. I held down a sob, covering my mouth with both my palms.

Stop it Abby, just stop it.

Two arms wrapped around my body. I was being pulled into his lap. I didn't let my guard down and he didn't let go of me. It took me a moment to realize that he was hugging me. He was trying to console me. I wanted to push him away, but I didn't. I don't know why.

We sat there for god knows how long. I tried paying attention to the waves, trying to calm myself down. I was shivering - we both were. His breath fanned against the side of my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"Let's get you home," he said. I didn't fight him this time. I pulled away from him, dusting off the sand to the best of my ability. I gave up eventually, making my way back to my house without turning back.

We walked in silence until we reached the back porch. I stared at the house in front of me. It was a typical two story Nantucket style beach house. It was painted blue and white.

I wasn't planning on returning, let alone staying alive.

When I made a move to go inside, he grabbed my arm.

"What?" I asked, pulling away from him.

"Why'd you do it?" he asked.

"Because I wanted to die."

Before he could ask me anything else, I opened the back door, slipping inside as quietly and quickly as I can. I didn't turn around to check whether or not he left.

I didn't even get his name.

A/N: please leave feedback!

Dean Geyer as Roman Carter