✨ c h a p t e r t h r e e ✨

I stayed away from the beach for a while. If I ever needed to go outside, I would stand in my front porch and do whatever I needed to do. Sometimes I'd write, sometimes I'd read, sometimes I'd just watch. It was never the same feeling as going to the beach. It was boring.

I spent most of my time writing. Sometimes I never knew what I wrote. I'd just let my pen do all the talking. I never reread what I wrote. I just let it stay. There's probably a million mistakes in them. It's not like I was going to let anyone read them.

"Abigail?" my aunt called. I got up from my seat (the porch step) and made my way inside. I had a cardigan on underneath my strapless sundress. It stopped an inch or two above my knee. I made sure to never wear strapless clothing around her and my uncle. They didn't know about my cutting and I didn't plan on letting them know.

"Yeah?" I asked, entering the kitchen. My aunt was in her mid-fifties. She had light brown hair with a bit of greys and dark brown, nearly black, eyes. She was a couple inches shorter than my 5'4 frame.

"We've been invited to the barbeque next weekend by one of the neighbors. Why don't you make something to bring to them?" she insisted. I knew what she was trying to do, but I wasn't going to give in. My mother and I cooked together all the time, but this would never be the same.

"No thanks." My aunt's smile fell.

"Honey," she said in that same tone I was used to for the past two goddamn years.

"I'm going to the beach." Before she could say anything, I was out the door. I did feel guilty for being so cold towards her, but at the moment, I don't need any more reminders of the past.

"Watch out!" A volleyball came hurdling towards me. Luckily, I was able to sidestep it. It bounced on the ground, rolling a couple feet away from me. I grabbed it, turning around to toss it to the group of teenagers playing volleyball when I recognized the familiar face.

"Abigail," Roman said, panting slightly. He was wearing a pair of beach shorts, showing off his muscular build. His hair was slightly damp and his skin was golden.

"Roman." He smiled, showing off a slight dimple on his left cheek.

"I haven't seen you in a while," he said, taking the ball from my outstretched hands. I nodded.

"Been busy," I mumbled. He was about to say something but stopped when his name was called out.

"Yo, stop flirting and get your ass back over here!" one of his friends yelled. There was a small group of them: two males and two females.

"You should get back," I told him. He looked at me, pursing his lips as he thought of something.

"Join us," he said. "I'm not gonna let you be bored by yourself." Frankly, he doesn't have to let me do anything. I'm not his pet.

Don't ask me why I accepted his offer because I don't know myself.

"This is Anna and Maggie," he said, pointing to the two girls.

They both gave me welcoming smiles – not the protective or jealous kinds of smiles you'd expect. Anna was the shortest of the group. She had strawberry blonde hair and a round face with vibrant green eyes. She was wearing a plain white two piece bikini.

Maggie definitely stood out the most with her dark brown hair with pale purple tips. It was a edgy, yet attractive look that definitely suited her. Her chocolate brown eyes held a hint of mischief in them. She wore a neon green, blue, and purple colorblock bikini.

Roman, then, pointed to the two boys. "That's Tony and Asher."

Tony had light brown hair and icy blue eyes. He was wearing black swim shorts, similar to the one Asher was wearing. Asher, probably the tallest of them all, had light brown hair and beautiful grassy green eyes.

"This is Abigail," Roman said to the group.

"Hey," the all said simultaneously. I waved awkwardly.

"Come join our team," Maggie exclaimed, grabbing my arm.

"Those idiots need a taste of their own medicine," Anna said to me.

"Are you any good at volleyball?"

"I guess, I can serve pretty well," I mumbled.

"Great!" Maggie beamed, handing me the ball.

"Come at us babygirl," Tony teased. I raised an eyebrow. He was definitely the cocky one of the group. I positioned the ball, swinging it over the net. Tony and Asher both yelled "Got it!" and stopped when they heard the other. The ball landed right between them.

"Love!" Maggie exclaimed.

"That's tennis, Mags," Roman corrected.

"Minor details," she replied, flinging her hair over her shoulder.

"The term you're looking for is ace," I corrected.

"I like her," Maggie said to Roman. "It's about time you introduced us to her." I froze.

"What do you mean it's about time?" I hissed. He did not...

"Roman told us about you," she said simply. I took a step back, the ball dropping. I pointed an accusing finger at him.

"You assshole!" I spat.

"Abi-"

"No, fuck you." I walked off angrily, heading back to the house. I was furious. He fucking told them. They know.

"Abigail!" he yelled after me. I ignored him, trying to move as quickly as I can. He latched onto my arm, spinning me around.

"Would you just stop for a second and let me explain?!" he yelled.

"What?!" I spat, yanking my arm away.

"I didn't tell them what you did," he said, panting in between each word. I was suddenly quiet. I felt embarrassed.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, biting my lower lip. "I...I thought..."

"I know, Abigail," he said softly, giving me a small smile. "Come on." He held out his hand. I stared at it for a moment before slowly taking his.

I ignored the weird feeling that began forming in the pit of my stomach.

A/N: please leave me feedback, it'd be very much appreciated!

Picture is Demi Lovato as Maggie :)