✨ c h a p t e r t h i r t y t w o ✨

"Mom!" I yelled, tossing my bag to the side as I ran up the stairs. Luckily, she was awake this time. She was still in bed, reading a book. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun. She took off her black, thin framed reading glasses and set it on the side table.

"What now?" she asked in a bored tone. I rolled my eyes, knowing fully well that she was only teasing me. I jumped onto her bed, grinning like an idiot.

"Guess what?" I asked, slightly jumping on the bed. She chuckled, adjusting herself so she was sitting up. "You passed your history test?"

I snorted. "Yeah right," I said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes. "There's a carnival tonight!" Unlike most children, I was deprived of the amazing experience of going to a carnival my whole childhood. Hell, I didn't even care that I was nearly sixteen years old. I wanted to go to a carnival and my age was surely not stopping me.

"That's all?" she asked, pretending like her nails were more important than the fact that there's a high chance of me losing my carnival virginity.

"Mo-om!" I said in the whiny teenager voice. She laughed.

"Wait till Dad gets home," she said.

"Oh, I will."

The moment he stepped into the bedroom, I pounded him.

"Daddy please, please, please take me to the carnival tonight! I'm risking my social life for this! Plus it's not even a school night considering today's Friday!" I exclaimed. He laughed, setting his things down on the bed.

"I wish I could baby," he said, kissing the top of my head. "But we have dinner with my boss tonight."

"We do? What? Why?" I asked, frowning.

"I might get a promotion," he said. "But the dinner isn't formal so dress casually." I didn't miss the pointed look he gave my mother who, childishly, stuck her tongue out at him.

After showering and finishing up my homework, I changed into a cute white tank top with ruffles and a pair of black skinny jeans. I held onto my maroon waffle cardigan. I put on a pair of black and silver gladiators.

The ride was filled with the sound of the radio playing. I was mostly staring out the window or texting Annalise who was upset that I couldn't go to the carnival like her. When I glanced up, we were turning into the Citi Field stadium. I looked at my parents quizzically, but they both ignored me. When I looked closer, I could see a ferris wheel.

I let out a loud squeal, repeatedly thanking them. They both laughed. I swear I was grinning like a psychopath.

When we got out of the car, I nearly skipped to the entrance. If it weren't for the fact that I did have some self control, my parents would have to put a human leash on me. We met up with Annalise who was with her boyfriend of two weeks, Christian Sanchez. He wasn't necessarily the brightest person, but he was apparently a computer genius.

The whole night was spent downing in thousands of calories, going on as many rides as we can, and having fun.

By the time we left, it was well past midnight. I was dead tired and nearly fell asleep walking. Unfortunately for me, it was impossible for me to fall asleep in the car. Maybe because my dad tended to speed.

Everything happened in slow motion.

As he was making a left turn, a truck came and crashed into ours. It hit the tail of the car, sending us spiraling. Our car managed to flip over, my head hitting against the window. I blanked out for a few minutes.

When I regained consciousness, I was upside down. There was something crushing my leg. I tried moving it, eliciting a whimper. "Dad, M-mom," I cried out. I could feel the blood trickling down my forehead. My whole body was in pain.

"H-honey," my mom croaked. "It's okay. We're going to be okay."

Her voice seemed far but she was just a few feet away. I tried moving my head slowly. I glanced at my dad. He was unconscious, his shoulder's weren't moving.

"M-mom, why isn't d-dad breathing?" I asked, realizing he was deathly still. "Mommy."

"Shh, baby," she cooed.

"M-mom," I cried.

"You'll be okay babygirl, I love you," she whispered.

"Mom, please," I whimpered, trying with all my might to reach forward and grab her hand. "Please." The blood was rushing to my head as we hung upside down inside the car. The glass was shattered and dug into different parts of my skin.

"Baby," she croaked, letting out a hiss as she hoisted her arm. Her weak fingers laced around mine. "Take the ring." My fingers shook as I carefully slipped her wedding ring off her finger.

"Mom, please, stay with me."

"I'm trying honey," she whispered. "It's gonna be okay." We both knew that was a lie. "We love you baby." She was getting weaker, her grip on my hand loosened. I struggled to hold her closer.

"Mom please," I begged, sobs erupting from my lips.

"Hush baby," she whispered, "it'll be okay."

A/N: if radio stations, TV's, etc. blur out the n word, do you really think you, as a non-black person, are allowed to say it??? do not say the n slur if you are not black. it's honestly simple. it is beyond disrespectful and inappropriate to use.

stay strong xo