✨ c h a p t e r t w e n t y s e v e n ✨

I was right.

Annalise and Jay were together. I was beyond happy for them. What made them even more perfect for each other was the fact that Ella absolutely loved Annalise. They were perfect for each other. I know for a fact that Annalise will make a great mother for Ella.

Jay and Annalise were polar opposites. Jay was reserved and quiet where Annalise was the loud, party girl. She was vibrant, he was aloof. They were both popular throughout high school. Annalise was known for her beauty. She had beautiful wavy brown hair that cascaded down past her shoulders and hazel eyes. She knew how to do her makeup perfectly ─ a skill I lacked. Jay, on the other hand, was known for being reserved. He had an elite group of friends that he hung out with. He was extremely attractive with his chocolate, tousled hair and light brown eyes.

In the time that I have known them both, I would have never figured they would fall for each other. But as I watch them bicker over why they should or shouldn't use the handicapped buttons by the entrance, I knew they were perfect for each other.

"You shouldn't be so lazy," Jay argued. Annalise rolled her eyes.

"If it's there, I'll use it," she retorted, crossing her arms.

"That's for the handicapped people Lise, not you."

"If it makes either of you feel any better, she can't walk across a flat surface without tripping," I added. Jay chuckled while Annalise looked conflicted on whether she should argue or laugh with me. She chose the latter.

Jay wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her to him. He did it almost subconsciously. She leaned into his touch automatically. They were like two magnets: when one shifted, the other followed. My mind went back to Roman. Were we ever like that?

I shook the thought away. Now wasn't the time to think about him.

I filled Annalise on everything that had happened after graduation and everything leading to today. She had a habit of interrupting people when telling her something and watching Jay clamp her mouth shut or poke her in her ticklish spots was very satisfying. I was able to finish my story without any interruptions.

"What's your plan?" Jay asked. I noticed his fingers wrap around Annalise's. It made mine feel empty.

"I'm just going to stay for a few days," I murmured. I played with the last of my waffles. We had went to a small diner near our homes called Lou's. It was run by an old couple with the help of their family. They've been working here for as long as I could remember. Even though it was lunch hour, they had breakfast options still available.

"Have you talked to Roman?" Annalise asked.

I shook my head, sighing. "I want to, but I don't want to. Everything's just so complicated." Because you're a fuck up. "I don't want to mess things up more than they already are." Long distance relationships won't last. "We just got carried away, I guess." Who said this relationship will last?

"Abbs, stop pushing people away," Jay said softly. I dug my nails into my palms, pursing my lips as I avoided eye contact.

"I don't mean too," I murmured. "It just happens."

Annalise frowned, reaching over to grab my hand. She squeezed it gently, tapping her thumb nail against mine. "Why haven't you talked to him?"

"I needed space to figure things out. I don't think this relationship ─ or what's left of it ─ should be my number one priority."

"Then what is?"

I looked at the two of them, pondering for a moment. "Me. I'm my number one priority."

A/N: this is a short chapter and so was the last one so I decided to upload them today. I'll probably upload another one later today too.

I already used my rant for the day so just do something that'll make you happy today :)

stay strong xo