✨ c h a p t e r t h i r t y n i n e ✨

Today was the last day of summer. I was going to move in with Annalise in just a few hours. Roman would be living just a few miles away from me. Jay, too, was going to the same college as Roman. All my bags were packed and ready but I wasn't. I left my house telling my aunt and uncle that I was going to go see Roman but I ended up going back to the pier.

I let out a content sigh, letting the water soak my feet. I was wearing a pair of jeans shorts and a plain grey v-neck shirt. My flip flops were in my hand while my feet dug into the sand.

The past three months had drastically changed my life. I wasn't completely cured of my depression, that's just impossible. But it had decreased to some extent. Even if Roman was mine, that doesn't mean that I can no longer have depression. Sometimes love isn't a cure, it can only be a medicine.

There were seagulls crying as they flew around. There weren't a lot of people around today. It was a bit early. Well, to me at least. I consider nine in the morning to be early. The sound of children laughing made me realize how excited I was to work with them. Sure, they're a handful, but they're not little demons. But then again, I do prefer babies to children. They're just absolutely so precious and tiny and so adorable.

As I watched the waves crash into each other and listened to the sound, I began thinking about my life. Two years ago, I lost the two most important people in my life. I fell into depression. I pushed myself away from people. I shut people out, especially those who really did care for me. I stopped eating, I lost all motivation, I began doing poorly in school. But I picked myself up with some help from my friends and family.

A pair of arms wrapped around my torso, lifting me up from the ground. I laughed freely, turning around to place my lips against Roman's. "Hi," he greeted, giving me a cheeky grin.

"Hi," I murmured, rubbing my thumb across his jaw. He was wearing a navy blue button down shirt and khakis."Ready to go?"

"As ready as ever."

We walked back to my house, hand in hand. My aunt and uncle both took the day off to "set me free." My aunt had a digital camera hanging around her neck as she discreetly tried to wipe her eyes. I couldn't help the chuckle that left my lips.

"Hi aunty," I greeted, wrapping my arms around her waist as I kissed her cheek.

"Oh honey," she cooed, hugging me tightly. I chuckled, hugging her back just as tightly. "I can't believe you're already off to college! You were just going to high school. Why does time go by so quickly?"

"I don't know Aunty," I said, rolling my eyes unable to hide the grin on my face.

"Your parents are proud of you honey," she said softly. Not would be, are.

"I know they are." She gave me one last hug before I gave one to my uncle.

"You take care of yourself, alright?" he asked. It was more of a statement, but I saw it coming.

"Of course Uncle," I promised. "I'll call you guys at least every─"

"Day," Aunty interrupted. "You'll call us everyday." Uncle rolled his eyes.

"At least once a week is fine, don't listen to Leah," he whispered. I chuckled, giving him one last squeeze.

Roman and I headed to the ice cream parlor nearby (not the one he quit from, unfortunately) to meet up with the rest of our friends. They were sitting down at the booth, already eating their ice cream. Roman and I headed to the line. I order the cake batter flavor with extra nuts just to irk Roman and because I really do like nuts. I was able to sneak Roman's wallet out from his pockets and paid for our ice creams. He wasn't too happy about it; oh well.