Chapter 50

"....Dad" I say turning to face him. He was grinning at me, decked out in a suit with a bow tie. I felt like I was having an outer body experience, like he was there but I wasn't. Harry came to stand next to me and gave me a little nudge, only then did I make any movement. I rushed forward and gave him the biggest hug I could manage in my dress. He reacted immediately, wrapping his arms around my bag. Saying how proud he was of me and how he was sorry that he left. Only now did I understand, if he hadn't left, things could have turned out a lot worse, plus did I really think that having my father around would help anything besides stand in the way of Harry's and I relationship. I break away from the hug and turn around to see Harry, grinning from ear to ear.

"You guys have already met haven't you!?" I ask smiling. They both nodding, turn to each other and shake hands excitedly.

"Good to see you again Harry" My father says sternly and professionally, but unable to wipe his smile.

"And you sir" Harry returns. My father stops shaking his hand and turns to look at mine.

"So you did it then?" He asks turning to Harry. I grow confused until I remember the giant ring placed on my finger.

"I did sir, last night actually" He confirms.

"Wait, how did you know!?" I ask my dad, he turns away from Harry and looks to me.

"He asked my permission a few days ago" My dad confirms. 

"Were you here this entire time!?" I ask him, growing slightly angry.

"No my flight got in early this morning, I mean Harry asked me over a video call" He returns to his professional demeanour. "Right, I must talk to Alex and tell him that I'm here. You two have fun..." He begins to walk away but not before turning to Harry and warning "But not to much fun mister" I have to admit, my dad is an extremely scary dude. Harry swallowed a lump in his throat before replying.

"Yes..sir" My dad smiles and claps him on the back before walking into the crowd at the party. I walk over to Harry and grab his hand.

"Is someone scared of my dad?" I ask cheekily, he laughs slightly before reply.

"Absolutely terrified" I laugh and pull him back out to the dance floor, a dancing song has come on and all the boys join us and we form a little circle of dancing idiots. People stare at us, but I don't think any of us care. I know Louis doesn't care, who is doing the sprinkler extremely enthusiastically for no apparent reason. We go like this for a few songs before I see my father come up to me, the boys all stop dancing and look suddenly very scared.

"Sorry to cut this err fun short but we have some urgent business to attend to" My dad says.

"No-one is supposed to work today though sir" Louis says, my father shoots him a look kind of like the 'do I look stupid' look your parents give you when you lie to them and they soooo don't fall for it. This shuts him up.

"Alex has caught me up to speed mainly, but this kind of thing must not wait for balls, come please" He says before turning and exiting the ball, expecting us to follow, which we do of course. We all wander down the hallway, collecting Alex along the way who walks ahead with my dad, talking in hushed voices. I ignore it and continue to walk ahead, focusing on not tripping over in my shoes. Harry is walking beside me and the rest of the boys are scattered in between us and my father. We finally get to the meeting room and my dad stands with his arms folded across his chest. 

"We have a location?" He asks Alex. Alex nods in reply before speaking.

"Scarlett knows this case inside and out, she's been running the whole damn show" My father turns to me and smiles. 

"Just like your mum" He says still smiling, but I see the pain in his eyes as he mentions her. "When do you think we should move in" He asks me.

"Personally, I want to get her back as fast as we can in case something goes wrong and they...take action. As soon as we can" I say finally, he nods before stating.

"Great, we leave in two days time then" He replies, clapping his hands together. I smile and he turns to me. "You aren't going" He says sternly. I'm speechless.

"Wait what do you mean I'm not going!?" I stutter, he can't be serious.

"I mean I'm not risking my daughters life by letting you-" I interrupt him.

"You risked my life for years not telling me about this whole other life of yours and now you think you can come in here and tell me what to do!! They all might be scared of you!" I say motioning to the boys, who are standing frozen "But not me!" I scream to him, he looks caught of guard momentarily but Alex speaks before he does.

"You aren't on this case Jack, if she wants to go then I'll allow it" My dad looks horrified at him, but Alex doesn't look the least bit frightened.

"Can I interrupt?" Harry, nervously stepping forward. My dad nods as if giving him permission. "I have to agree with Jack" He says quietly, my dad looks very pleased while Harry doesn't dare make eye contact with me.

"And why is that Harry?" My dad asks still looking at me, urging him to prove his point.

"Well" He begins. "You might get hurt" He stutters.

"She's my mother Harry" I say quietly, but it comes out quite menacing.

"I know that, but it doesn't mean you wont get hurt, we are trained, we know what we are doing if we run into trouble. Your best off here, where we know you are safe" He replies finally looking up at me, almost pleading with me, but I don't budge.

"Franks been training me, he says I'm good. I took you down for heavens sake, I can do this. And I'm going to wether you like it or not" I reply sternly. After much silence, I speak up, having the last word. "I'm going, and none of you can stop me. Moving on" 

***2 hours later****

We stay in the meeting and are finally let out after 2 long hours. Harry didn't speak for the entire meeting and my father wouldn't look me in the eye. I can't believe they tried to shut me out of this, I understand what they do is dangerous but after all I've been through, I think I can handle myself, plus I have the help of 'the gene' I can't believe Niall never brought that up in my defence. Alex concludes the meeting and apologises for us having to miss out on the rest of the ball. I'm not to fussed though, it was fun but I couldn't have danced for much longer in these killer heels. I take them off and exiting the meeting room fast, not to eager to bump into my dad right now. 

"Hey" I hear Harry say as he joins me while I walk down the hallway, my room isn't until the other side of HQ.

"Hi" I reply emotionlessly, after all of this I thought he would be on my side.

"Look I'm sorry for not defending you, but I do really agree with your dad" He says in his defence.

"Wait you still agree with him?" I ask, he nods. "Why, you've been with me through all of this. I've got stronger because of all this, all that dad see's me as is a little girl. Why aren't you on my side" I say quickly. He grabs my hands which are by my side and turns me to face him, stopping me while I walk.

"Because I've been with you through this, that is exactly why. Because since day one it's all been about protecting you from any danger, I'm not about to throw you into the middle of it! I know you can handle it Scarlett, but that doesn't mean I want you to" He says coming closer to my face, trying to get his point across, he seems desperate to get his point across.

"Well Harry your just going to have to live with the fact that I make my own decisions, and I'm not just going to take a back seat because you want to protect me. That assignment is over, this is a new one. I am an agent now and I'm going to start work eventually" I try and rip my hands away, but he holds them firmly still.

"You know I protect you because I love you, not because it was a job Scar!" He says desperately.

"Well if you love me, you will let me make my own decisions!" I say.

"There's nothing I can do to change your mind is there?" He says, hopelessly quiet.

"No" I say angrily, he releases my arms and walks down the hallway rather fast, leaving me alone with the thoughts about the argument I never wanted to have.....