Chapter 6 Intoxicating (Crystal POV)

(Writer's note: Howdy ya'll! :D I think I'm gonna start doing my WNs at the end of the chapters now, just so I don't give anything away ;) Hope you enjoy this chapter! :D)

Chapter 6

Intoxicating

~Crystal

I placed myself down on the moss-infested boulder opposite the raspberries as he threw one to me. It seemed bigger than usual, a dry as I took a bite into it. It was as if my whole mouth was numb. I patted down my skirt and sighed. The sun was shinning in a way it bleached everything around me and made all the colours blend from one to another. But his stayed fixed. His bright blue eyes especially, staring into mine. He sat down on a thick piece of log and devoured his raspberry before saying a word.

‘Did you ever imagine yourself here?’ He asked, licking the pink juice from his fingers.

I shrugged, ‘Dunno… I like the gypsy trail.’

He laughed, ‘Nah, I mean, pretending to be a guy. Pretending to be someone you’re not.’

I felt my lips twitch as I turned away from him, ‘Doesn’t everyone pretend to be someone they’re not?’

‘I guess.’ He sighed, ‘Strings is a perfect example of that.’

‘He is?’

‘He is.’ He looked up to the sky, ‘I am too, come to think about it.’

‘Weren’t you happy?’

‘I was always happy.’

‘Then why leave?’ I shot at him, watching him frown as the sharpness of my comment sank in.

‘I think you know why.’ He replied after a brief silence, ‘Crystal, why are you crying?’

‘What?’ I brought my fingers up to my cheeks and felt tears slide their way over them, ‘S-sorry, I didn’t realise…’

He walked over to me, making no noise and knelt before me, ‘Yeah you did. You’ve cried pretty much every night for a month, and still you won’t let yourself think of me.’

The tears began to effect my voice to the point I was sniffling and whining.

He placed a warm, soft hand on mine and I could feel it. His touch filled me with a happiness so agonising I couldn’t bare it.

‘Is this the only way I can get into your head?’

My eyes had been open for a while but the dream didn’t end until moments later. It was the first time since the note that I had actually thought about Ray. I knew it was just my subconscious telling me to grieve but apart of me wanted to humour myself into believing it was more than just a dream. But the other part made sure I knew the truth and to ignore it.

After another incident with Rosetta, I felt awkward around Strings. I wanted to tell him, knowing how he’d kick himself if he screwed things up between them. But that same part of me that told me to ignore the dream also said to remain loyal to Rosetta. I guess I really didn’t have much choice.

In trackies and a baggy AC/DC T-shirt, I shuffled my way into the living room where, surprisingly, everybody else was fully dressed.

‘ ‘Bout time, sleeping beauty.’ Strings mocked, ‘Hurry up and sit yer ass down, wouldya?’

I quickly threw myself on the couch between Drummer and Red while wondering why Strings seemed so impatient and… even nervous. Then I caught a glimpse of the letter in his hands.

‘Well, are you gonna open it?’ Red asked.

He tore the envelope open faster than I could blink and snatch the context out. He unfolded the piece of paper clumsily and began to scan through it. There was an awkward silence.