Chapter 8 Guy Fox (Red POV)

Chapter 8

Guy Fox

~Red

‘I think this will be the only Guy Fox night I won’t be staring at the fireworks.’ Chris laughed, taking the cans of Irn Bru and the marshmallows out of his bag.

I was setting up my equipment; I had to have it at an angle to reflect the fireworks onto the wall, ‘Well, you’ll still technically be looking at them.’

‘Nah, I’ll be looking at something even better.’

I gazed down at him as he laid out the picnic blanket. His hair was getting longer and in the light, the way his eyes sparkled, the shine caressing his face, he looked almost like a woman. An incredibly beautiful woman.

He sat and stared at the wall, waiting patiently for colours to swirl their way through the glass and paint themselves on the bricks. I sat beside him, opening a can of Irn Bru and handing it to him.

‘Thanks.’ He said before taking a sip.

He always pressed his lips so gently against the rim of the tin as if he was kissing it. I wish I was that tin…

He caught me staring and laughed, ‘Whatchya staring at?’

‘You.’ I admitted and opened my can.

‘Sure you want to try that?’ He raised an eyebrow.

I’d picked out the new limited edition fiery Irn Bru, a daring choice but as a true Scotsman I had to. I shrugged and took a taste. I expected a burning sensation to completely set fire to my tongue but instead it just tasted like… curry in a can.

I pulled my lips away, screwing up my nose, ‘Ugh…’

‘That bad?’ He slid the can out of my hand, ‘Let me try.’ I began to giggle as his face turned sour while drinking it. It splattered out of his mouth and onto the wall, ‘Yuck!’

I patted him on the back a chuckled, ‘Look, you’ve added to the art!’

‘Spit on a wall?’ He chuckled back, ‘Red you’re weird.’ I stopped laughing. ‘Good weird, don’t worry.’ He patted me on the head. I hated when people did that, especially him. If he treated me like a kid, then he saw me as a kid, and not the man I wanted him to see.

There was an icy breeze and he shivered inwardly, trying to duck into his hoodie like a turtle in its shell. ‘I’m freezing.’

I gulped, "I’m freezing." Could it be?

I began taking off my hoodie, ‘You can have mine then, I’m quite-‘

‘No.’ He shook his head, ‘I don’t want you to get cold too.’

This is too weird.

I shook my head and continued pulling the zip down, ‘But I don’t want you to stay-‘

‘Don’t.’ He grabbed my hand and stopped me from unzipping all the way. This isn’t the way it went… I looked up to his smiling face, lit by the glow of the town; ‘Thanks, Red, but you don’t have to.’ He took his hand away and looked back at the wall. I could see his shadow flickering on the wall as if there was a candle behind him. He was so pale his face might have well have been covered in frost.

‘Chris…’

‘Okay- I’m too friggin cold!’ He pounced on me, quickly fastening his arms around my waist and pressing his chest against mine, ‘Sorry if this seems kinda gay but- Wow! You’re like a human radiator!’