Chapter 4 The Irony (Red POV)

Chapter 4

The Irony

~Red

I sat opposite Drummer, eating my toast while he ate his Weetos. Chris was busy spreading butter on his toast while Strings had a staring contest with the envelope. The only thing that could be heard was the clanking of Strings spoon against the bowl.

Then a thud on the table, ‘When the fuck is Sailor coming!?’

‘Dunno.’ Drummer replied.

‘I don’t think we should wait for him.’

‘I think we should.’ Chris said.

‘But Chris!’ He whined, ‘I wanna open it now!’

I patted him on the shoulder, ‘Be calm. Our time will come.’

‘Seriously?’ He narrowed his eyes at me, ‘Why are you sitting beside me?’ I shrugged, ‘Why aren’t you sitting beside Drummer?’

I gulped and I could here Drummer stop eating, ‘Uh- Because I want to spend more time with you- You seem lonely.’

‘Are you hitting on me?’

‘No!’

‘Then swap seats with Chris.’

‘I’m fine here.’ He smiled, ‘It’s cool me and Drummer are chair buddies!’ He playfully punched Drummer’s arm.

The door flew open and Sailor dragged his feet in before collapsing on the couch.

‘Night shift?’ I asked. He moaned as if to say "Yes".

‘Can we open the letter now?’ Strings snapped.

Sailor rolled over to face the ceiling, ‘If ya like.’

Strings ripped the letter open and began to read:

Lazer Graffiti!

Congrats on your major success in the last round! This October is round five! You’ll be up against four bands this time; each one of you will do a cover. The three organisers of this event will judge which one band gets through to the semi-final. We’ll call you to discuss further detail. Have a cover ready!

P.S. we confirm that your new band member is allowed to join you in this round and here on.

‘Woo! Acceptance!’ Sailor punched his fist in the air.

‘Woo! October!’ Strings said.

‘Woo! Semi-semi final!’ I joined in.

‘Woo! Cover!’ Chris cheered.

‘Woo! Weetos!’ We all blinked at Drummer, he pulled his fist from the air and lowered his head in shame, ‘I got nothing else.’

‘Anyway!’ Strings clapped his hands and jumped up on his chair, ‘Ideas?’

‘Statue of liberty?’ I guessed.

He glowered down at me, ‘What now?’

‘Isn’t that who you’re being?’

‘What- no! I mean cover ideas!’

‘Eejit.’ Sailor laughed, ‘In a cute way though.’

‘How dare you look at another man!’ Strings mocked.

He clutched his chest and turned his head away, ‘But you never give me the love I need! The love I deserve!’

‘Well maybe I will! Right now!’ He leapt down from the chair and puckered his lips, ready to smooch. But for a minute and a half he just stood still.