Slipping Away

Ponyboy:

He'd only had his license for 36 hours and already everything had fallen apart. The crash wasn't his fault but it felt like it was. All he had wanted was to drive you around in Darry's pick up that he'd been allowed to borrow for the night. Maybe even take you somewhere and park. It was supposed to be a romantic night, it really was. But that drunk asshole hadn't stopped at the red light. The collision had knocked him unconscious. Pony woke up in a hospital bed with an IV in his arm and a bandage on his forehead. Soda was sitting beside him when he woke up. His first thought was you. Where were you? Were you okay? What had happened? Soda let out a sob when he saw his eyes open.

"Where's (Y/N)?" Pony asked. He only cared about you in that moment. The question though only invoked an even uglier sob from Soda.

"Pony, I'm so sorry," He said.

"I asked where is she? Soda don't mess around with me," Pony growled out not liking where this was going.

"Pony, she.... she...." Soda couldn't finish the sentence. Couldn't tell his brother the worst news of his life. Instead he just got up and pulled Pony into a tight hug. Pony tried to push him away as reality begin to sink in. He started to put the pieces together. It was only then that first tear broke lose and he started to cry. Soda sank onto the bed and held his baby brother. Sobs and cries ripped from his lips. He'd never felt pain like this. He wanted to rip his heart out so that it wouldn't hurt so much but he couldn't. How was he supposed to function without you? He had been so sure you were it for him. The one he was supposed to marry and have tons of kids with. Without you in his world there seemed to be no meaning.

Dallas:

You'd been sick for a long time. It'd been months since you'd been able to get out of bed by yourself. You were miserable but Dallas was a light in your life. He'd been with you at every step of the way. At first you tried to break up with him; not wanting to tie him down or hurt him. But he refused to let you go through this alone. He spent every waking hour by your side. You'd elected to go home from the hospital not wanting to spend your last days in a sterile room. Dallas entered the room with a glass of water and your pills. He looked tired and somehow older. You knew you were putting a lot of stress on him but he refused to leave. No matter how much it hurt the both of you. He set the pills down on your night stand and crawled into bed with you. You'd been laying on your side so he laid with your back pressed to his chest. His arms were wrapped around you tightly. Somehow you both knew it was time.

"I love you, Dallas Winston," you whispered. "Will you sing for me?" Dallas had the most beautiful voice but he kept it hidden from everyone but you. Dallas pressed a kiss to the top of your head before lowly letting out a few notes of your favorite song. He only made it halfway through the song before he couldn't do it anymore. The tears were clogging his throat making it impossible. Your chest had stopped moving. He let the tears fall and dampen your hair. He knew this is how you'd wanted to go but it didn't make it any less painful . If he could've given his life for yours he would've in a heartbeat. He stayed with you in his arms until the tears stopped. He stood up and pressed one last kiss to your lips.

"I love you too, (Y/N) (Y/L/N). So much."

Darry:

He could hear the baby crying in the nursery. But he couldn't seem to pull himself out of the trance. Everything inside him was numb and dead. He was vaguely aware of Soda walking in the direction of the nursery. Darry hadn't actually set foot in the nursery. You'd kept him out of there wanting the decoration to be a surprise for when the baby came home. Only you hadn't actually came home. Complications due to the birth is what the doctors had said. He hadn't even gotten to say good bye.