Secrets

Ponyboy:

The letter had come a week ago and while at first, you were elated now there was only confusion. UCLA was your dream school. You'd thought about going there nonstop for years. But then Pony had walked into your life and everything changed. He was it for you. The absolute love of your life. And yet... You were rereading the acceptance letter in your bed when Pony surprised you and walked in. He threw himself on the bed next to you as you scrambled to hide the letter. You weren't ready to tell him. You didn't want the fantasy to end yet. But you weren't fast enough. Pony plucked the letter from your hands.

"What's this?" he asked. You were frozen as he read through its contents. He looked up with excitement. "(Y/N)! This is amazing!! You got in!"

"Yeah," you said trying to pull excitement, but you didn't have any excitement to give. Pony knew you too well though. He picked up on your hesitancy.

"Why aren't you freaking out about this? It's your dream school."

"It's halfway across the country," you replied.

"And?"

"I don't want to leave you."

"We can do long distance," Pony said sitting up and looking at you. You wanted to cry. You thought that you would have more time before having this conversation.

"Like Soda and Sandy? That worked so well," You replied.

"We'll make it work. We have too because there's no way you're not going," Pony said with finality.

"Long-distance doesn't work Pony. You know that. I can't go without leaving you behind," you said.

"Then leave me behind! You can't walk away from your dream just for me." Pony sounded so incredulous.

"How can you be so glib about this? Just throw away our relationship without a thought?"

"It's your future!"

"You're my future!"

"I will not be the reason you throw away this amazing opportunity. I don't understand how you can be so selfish about this decision. I would kill for this chance and what? You're just gonna throw it away because you're in love?" The tears were flowing freely now from your eyes as you watched Pony get up and pace around the room, yelling at you as he did. "You're being so immature!"

"I just want to be with you, Pony," you pleaded.

"Well maybe I don't want to be with you," Pony said stopping and looking at you. His eyes were cold. "I thought that you were better than this. But I'm just disappointed in you."

Pony turned and walked out without another word. As the door slammed shut you broke down, wishing you'd never applied in the first place.

Dallas:

Holy shit. Dallas had done it. He'd finally don't it. He'd found the best girl he could find, and he'd gotten her to fall in with him. What was even weirder was that he'd fallen for you too. He was practically skipping with how you made him feel. And while the gang teased him, he shrugged it off because you were his girl and you were all he needed. Dallas found himself whistling as he walked up the drive to your house. He'd never been there before, and he was planning on surprising you. As he walked up the porch and to the door, he could almost hear wedding bells. Funny, Dallas had never thought he would get married but with you anything was possible.

But then Tim Shepard answered the door. At first, he thought you were cheating but then you appeared from behind him and Dallas began to notice the similarities. The nose, the hair, the eyebrows. And suddenly Dallas wished you were cheating. Then he could at least be mad and punch the guy and there would be a fight but you two would make up and it would be okay. But this was different. You were the Shepard Princess. Tim Shepard's little sister. The untouchable. Tim had broken bones if a guy looked at you and Dallas had done much much more than that.