Prologue

Warning: Includes violence, strong words, trigger warnings. Read at your own risk.

THE plane Joey boarded from New York just landed to NAIA. She sighed heavily and closed her eyes real hard to release her frustrations.

Philippines. She's back after years of staying in New York. Dark days in her own country made her want to puke. She has not yet gotten off the plane, but she's already having trouble breathing.

For years, Joey was able to avoid going back to the Philippines. No matter how many times they urged her, she would always find reasons not to go. She hates the country and all the bad memories she had there.

"But now, I'm freaking here," she muttered.

After how many suffocating minutes, she finally went down the plane. She waited for luggage and surveyed the place.

Joey grinned when she saw Arthur looking around. When their eyes met, he also grins and went quickly towards her.

"J!" Arthur greeted her. He hugged her and they fist-bumped. "I've missed you! Maligayang pagbabalik sa lupang iyong sinilangan."

"Oh, Shut up! Hindi ko ginustong pumunta rito," she frowned, still annoyed with the decision.

It's depressing to be in a place you never wished to be at again. Although Joey can't feel any remorse on what she did, she knows she's at fault, so she needs to face her punishment.

"Force leave, eh?" he teased her.

"Fuck you!" she countered.

Joey was forced to take a break from work after she lost her cool while handling a member of a syndicate. She shot his genitals and almost killed him after she learned about what he did to a minor.

Their superior did not like what she did so he decided to give her a break. They would only call her once she's needed. So, it means, her 'break' is indefinite!

But what annoyed Joey the most is when they suggested her to see a shrink!

"What a freak!" she thought.

Arthur took her luggage and they went to the parking. When they got inside his car, that's the only time Joey was able to breathe properly.

"Damn it! NAIA's the worst airport I've ever been! It's so freaking hot!" she complained.

Arthur look at her from head to toe, he shook his head and turned the air conditioner in its coldest.

Joey's wearing her usual outfit. Cargo pants, boots, tank top, and a leather jacket all in black, so she understand the mockery in Arthur's look.

"Low budget," he said but immediately takes it back when she arched her brow. "Fine. Corruption," he corrected. "Saka 'wag ka na ngang magreklamo sa init, parang hindi ka nag-stay ng ilang buwan sa disyerto," he said pertaining to her mission in Middle East. He maneuvered his car to his Condo.

Joey slouched her back against her seat.

"Tired?" he asked.

She nodded.

"You rest, first. The traffic here will double your tiredness."

Joey then closed her eyes and tried to rest her mind but her stupid brain keeps on thinking about things. She was thinking about how she will spend her stay in the country.

Damn, she'll surely miss working for UP!

"Ilang years ka rito?" Arthur asked her when he felt that her thoughts were bothering her.

"This one really knows her," she thought.

"What? Years?" Joey was horrified when his question finally sinks in.

She faced Arthur. "Years? Are you freaking sure?" she asked, suddenly her chest throbbed.

"Yes? 'Di ba, indefinite?"

"No fucking way!"

No! She can't! She can't be detained there for a year!

"Well, we all know what Chief meant when he said "I'll just call you when you're needed", he added.

"Fuck!" she murmured, completely horrified with the situation.

"Naisip ko lang, would you like to work for me?" he asked.

"Work?" Her surrounding brightens with what he said. Arthur has a security and detection company.

Damn it! She loves action!

"Yes. My friend's wife is in danger. She needs security and I'm thinking if you can—"

"Yes, I'd like to!" she immediately interrupt him.

Arthur smiled at her. "Good! You'll start tomorrow kaya magpahinga ka na ngayon."

She rubbed her hands in excitement. "Actions! I love actions!"

Arthur shook his head in disbelief with the way she reacted.

Guns, bullets, and grenades were her best buddies; hand to hand combat is her favorite game!

Action, here I come!