Chapter 16| My Shorty

~Kayla's P.O.V.~

"MEGHAN!"

I ran flat out through the burning house, ashes flying around me, ready to eat me up, yet all I could think was how it was all my fault. She would be gone soon, and I would never see her again. I needed more time.

I wish I hadn't fell asleep while the fireplace was going right next to her.

I wish I could slow it all down.

Then suddenly, as if the universe had obeyed my thoughts, it all slowed down, and I was the only thing that was moving at normal speed. I didn't know how it happened, nor did I care. All I thought about was finding her, because she was lost, and I couldn't find her. Because if I left her a second longer, she would surely die.

And... if she did, it would all be my fault.

I would never forgive myself.

And then I heard it; a single, extremely faint, and strangled scream, coming from the room at the end of the corridor. Meghan. I heard it again, trying to find my way through the thick smoke, and I was starting to feel suffocated. I couldn't see anything, until I started to try and fan away the smoke, and I vaguely saw the door to her room. I ran straight into the room, ashes washing the clean air slowly, and saw a burnt hand stuck in between two dressers, which both belonged to my parents. She was stuck.

I ran over as the time turned back to normal, and tried to lift the dresser. It wouldn't budge. Suddenly, as if controlled by my will power, the dresser moved to reveal Meghan, who was coughing uncontrollably.

I lifted her and held her in my arms, choking on the smoke as I went. I could barely breathe now, my chest heaving as I fought to find a way out of the burning building. And suddenly, when I realized flames blocked the stairs, and my vision was blurred, I spotted a window. I knew what I had to do.

I broke the glass with my free hand, my knees growing weak. Praying to god that I would survive, I stepped out onto the windowsill, still desperately holding Meghan in my arms, and jumped out.

I hit the ground with a terrible thump, and I felt my whole body start to shut off. I fought to keep my eyes open as Meghan started to breathe in effort to stay that way, and her little heartbeat started to slow. I wanted to call out for help, but I had taken all the impact from the fall, and it was a two-story building, and I could barely breathe.

My vision blurred as I fought to stay awake, mainly to make sure Meghan was ok, because otherwise, I had no reason to live. I had caused all this.

I heard sudden muffled footsteps approaching, and a woman stood before us, letting out a scream and yelling for help. Soon people started to gather, and an ambulance arrived. My mom came rushing over, her eyes filled with tears, and she hugged us both, but I felt cold all the same, because suddenly I remembered something. Where was dad?

" Mom... dad...?" I asked my mom weakly.

My mom gasped, as she realized he hadn't come until now. Where was he? Our questions were all of a sudden answered when we heard a pained yell from the building. Everyone froze in horror as a burning hand broke through the second-floor window, and I saw the body being burnt alive. It was dad.

I turned away, tears filling my eyes. I couldn't watch, because there was nothing we could do. My mom screamed.

" SOMEONE HELP!"

I heard the yells stop, and I knew it was all over. A whimper escaped my throat, and I turned back to see the limp, still burning hand hanging out of the broken window, my mother screaming in pain.