Chapter 50| Little Do You Know

~Kayla's P.O.V.~

I lift up my shirt to see a large bruise on my side; it literally looks like someone ran me over, the only difference being it sickeningly resembling a shoe. The dark black, purple, and yellow blotches spread across my stomach, and my jaw is now the color of a plum, covered in a huge purple bruise. I seriously thought Damon was weaker than this.

After a whole lot of wincing and pain, I manage to take my shirt off, looking at myself in the mirror. Wow. What have I come to? What did I do to be treated like this? I sigh, getting into the shower. The water hurts a lot, and I leave a bit of blood, but I never said anything else didn't.

I get out, dressing in a maroon sweater dress, which reached above my knees, making sure the long sleeves covered my bruises. With no battering on my legs, I was content.

I moved on to my face. Now that was seriously messed up. I take out my makeup bag, which consists of the smallest amount of makeup ever, and start applying foundation to my harsh bruises, making sure to cover everything, and then add a bit of mascara, deciding that I was ready to go for the day. And I'm not telling anyone about the Damon situation. I could only imagine how he'd hurt me then...

I shake the thoughts out of my head and smile, even though it doesn't reach my eyes. I should enjoy my free day while I can.

I walk out of the room, wondering where Isla had slept last night, when I remember she told me she'd sleep over in Melissa's room for the night. I'm lucky she didn't see my in my state.

When I get to the cafeteria, I realize I'm the only one there. My eyes wander to my watch.

7:03 AM. I woke up too early.

Nevertheless, I walk over to our usual spot where I sit, tying the shoelaces of my white and black Adidas Superstars. I bring a small plate of eggs and bacon with a Nutella sandwich, sitting back down, and that's when people start to file into the cafeteria. I run a hand through my straight hair, waiting for everyone to come.

Ten minutes later, I find myself poking at my food, still not eating, and listening to chatter.

" But I've always liked the sourness of Sour Patch."

" Dude, no. Nerds are way better. Don't you think Isla?"

" No way, Sour Patch slays."

" I hate you."

" You guys are childish."

" What do you think, Kayla?"

I shrug my shoulders, my mood not exactly good.

Zack perks up. " Are you ok?"

" I'm fine." I fake smile.

" O-ok. Just remember, if something bothers you, tell me." He answers, and I know he doesn't believe me.

" Sure."

A few hours later, I sit in my room with everyone else, staring into thin air, when Isla gets up to go to the bathroom. As soon as she's in, there's a sharp intake of breath and a small scream. I look up frantically as Caleb and Zack exchange a look and get up abruptly.

I'm the last one in the bathroom; I push through everyone, making it to Isla, and I see what they're all staring at. I mentally curse myself.

Will is the first to speak, and his voice is a bit higher than usual. " K-kayla, why is the bath full of blood?"

Ugh.

" I have no idea." Yes, I just played that card.

" Are you sure?"

" Yeah."

" Sure?"

" Yes, god-damn it!"

He looks taken aback, but is too stunned to reply.

The rest of the day is spent awkwardly, but it seems to loosen up towards the night. As I'm walking to my room, I bump into... yeah, you know who.

He passes me with no care in the world.

Before the lights go out, Isla hugs me.

" You know you can tell me anything, right?" she gets up and turns the light off.

" Yeah."

Little do you know, Isla. Little do you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOOOOOM...

That was the stuff, guys!

I'm proud of this one.

-Lena