Arrival

Almost there. Only a little farther she thought as she raced through the city, watching as the moonlight illuminated the streets below her while she ran across the rooftops. She smiled when she saw the city line with an old fashioned cobblestone road leading away from it, deep into the thick, dense forest that all who lived in the small city learned to fear, perfect. Everyone here is so superstitious they'll never follow me in, Avery gulped in air as she raced into the forest, police following close behind. They stopped, however, once they saw her enter the forest,
"Should we go after her, sir?"
"No! I'll not lose more men to that damned forest. Leave her go. The Forest will take her."
They walked away from The Forest quickly, not wanting to stay in its presence any longer than they had to.

Avery moved through the trees swiftly until she was sure she was safely hidden from view of any of her per suers. Taking a deep breath, she leaned against a tree and rested, planning what to do next. During this time, she felt a shiver run down her spine. The sun had set and the adrenaline had worn off, leaving her to freeze in the brisk spring night.

She moved deeper into the woods until she came upon a clearing where a large, gothic-victorian style mansion sat. Relieved to find shelter, Avery went into the house in an attempt to warm up. She sat down on the large sofa in what appeared to be the living room and pulled a large, maroon blanket over her and laid down. I must be more tired than I thought, she realized as her body began relax into the sofa and blanket. Just as she started to fall asleep, she could've sworn she was not alone in the room.
Little did she know, she was being intently watched by six pairs of deep, red eyes...