Chapter 3

Natalia POV

Three days...

It has been three days since the Interview. Even though I didn't want to work there especially under him. In the back of my mind I knew that it was a great opportunity. I also knew that if I did receive a phone call from them. I wouldn't hesitate to answer and accept the offer. I know he insults me and is very rude, but I would be dumb to refuse the position.

I sat in front of Miya in the kitchen. She sat on the high chair, beating her hands on the tray. Her hair was flying around her head looking a mess, her eyes were full of excitement. Her mouth was covered in mush carrots. Her cheeks, lips, and teeth were stained orange. She clapped her hands impatiently waiting for another spoon full of carrots

"Here comes the airplane, zzzzzzzzzzoooooooommmmm." I waved the spoon in front of her.

I inserted the carrots into her mouth, watching her chew them. She smiled up at me and giggled.

"Okay, can you do one more bite for mommy please?"

She nodded her head and opened her mouth wide. She chewed on the last pieces of carrots swallowing them. I smiled at her accomplishment and pinched her cheeks. I stood up and threw the container away and put the spoon into the sink. I grabbed the washcloth that was in the sink and rinsed it out.

I walked over to Miya wiping her face and hands. I then wiped the mess off the chair and tray. I picked her up in my arms walking over to the couch in the living room sitting her down. I returned to the kitchen folding the high chair putting it in the corner.

I walked over to the shelf near my TV picking out a few of Miya's favorite Disney movies. The Lion King, Pocahontas, Monster Inc. Frozen, and Cinderella.

"Okay, baby girl which one?" I asked her.

She scanned through the movies with her eyes, like she was making a life or death situation. I chuckled under my breath seeing how she was taking this so seriously. She moved her eyes over the options one more time before she finally picked one.

"The Lion King!" She squealed

I took the DVD out of the case and popped it in the DVD player. I sat down on the couch beside Miya. She crawled onto my lap and laid there. I put my arms around her feeling her warmth. Once we were both comfortable the movie started. She stared up at the TV watching the film. In the middle of the movie I heard knocking at my door.

It caught me off guard, because I really don't socialize with a lot of people. So, there wasn't anyone that popped in my mind of who it may be. I stared down at Miya, and her eyes were closed. Her breathing was even signaling that she was asleep.

I carefully removed my arms from her tiny body and took her off my lap. I laid her down on the couch carefully.

Once I stood up and walked towards the door. I opened it, and there stood Mace. He was the owner of the building, and he would stop by time to time to collect my rent.

I always said to him that I could give it to him or drop it in his mailbox. However, he will just come at my door asking to come in and collect the rent himself. I didn't feel comfortable with him, let alone in my apartment. He always flirted with me by using pickup lines. But It always came out corny and him trying too hard. He was so annoying and weird.

"Hey sugar cakes" He smiled showing his black rotten teeth

"Don't call me that." I spat.

"Awww, calm down baby you know I'm just kidding." He said pushing his way through the door.

"What do you want Mace?" I asked annoyed

"Oh, I guess we're getting right into business huh?" He asked teasingly

I sighed in frustration.

"No how are you? What did you do today? What's your phone num-"

"Quite frankly I don't care about any of those things. Now, what do you want!" I said angrily.

He looked at me shocked, I was not in the mood for his pointless flirting. I think he got the memo because he cleared his throat and started talking.

"I'm here to talk about the rent. You are really late on it Natalia. So sorry to say, but if I don’t have your money in the next two weeks. You're going to be evicted from the apartment."

I stared at him dumbfounded. I didn't know that I was that late on my rent. I mean I was border line of getting evicted. I started thinking of a few ways that I could come up with the money. While a few options came to mind, I was cut off from my thoughts when I heard shuffling. I saw Mace walking around the apartment getting way too comfortable

"Okay, thanks for letting me know. You should be leaving now." I said while opening the door for him.

He didn't make a move to leave. So, I walked behind him shoving him out the door. He turned around looking at me with his creepy eyes trying to say something.

"Hold on I was wondering if you want to go ou-"

I slammed the door in his face interrupting his sentence. I walked to my kitchen table pulling out a chair. My laptop was sitting on the surface. I sat on the chair and opened it up. I need to find a job soon in the next two weeks. I can't get evicted, I really can't.

I was on my laptop applying everywhere until I heard my phone ring. I got up from the chair and headed to the living room picking up my phone from the couch. I answered the phone not caring to see the number.

"Hello." I answered.

"Hi, Natalia it's Tracey from National Elect Industries. I called to inform you with good news." She chirped happily through the phone.

"Okay, what is it?" I questioned.

"Well Natalia Mr. Beacon decided to pick you to fulfill the position as his personal assistant"

I can't believe it I was in disbelief. I never thought that I would get a call let alone the job. I mean the interview was horrible and so was his attitude. I thought that he would pick someone else. I was struggling in my mind to grasp the good news.

"Hello, Natalia you still there?"

I cleared my throat and responded. "Yeah I'm here"

"Well do you accept the offer?" She asked.

I held my breath before I responded.

"Yes, of course"

"Great! So, tomorrow you will come in at 8:00 A.M. Please be on time Mr. Beacon does not like when people are late. You will still come to the 15th floor like last time. For now, that's all you need know. However, when you come in tomorrow morning I'll give you more details." She finished saying through the phone.

"Okay, sounds good."

"Okay, see you tomorrow Natalia!" She said

"Thanks, and see you tomorrow bye"

I hung up the phone and ended the call and sat down on the opposite side of the couch from Miya. I looked over at my sweet baby. Her brown hair was stuck to her face by the heat. She looked so cute when she was asleep. She was my pride and joy. I'm glad that I accepted the offer. I knew I made the right decision not for me but

For her.