Chapter Twenty-Two - New Year's Eve

Eliza smiled politely at one of the guests. At first, she had received odd glances from those who knew she was but after a while they had realised she was no threat.

Cedric wrapped his arm around Eliza's waist and sipped his glass of champagne. He laughed at one of the jokes a work colleague of his father said.

Eliza sipped her own glass of champagne before letting out a laugh. A man walked over to them, he wore all black and seemed to be the least friendly person there. She recognised him from somewhere. "Miss Dawlish, what a surprise to see you here!" He spoke again before she could reply. "I missed you at the banquet last summer." He was friends with her mother and father. Figures.

"I was at a friends." Eliza simply said.

"Of course. May I ask whom this friend is?"

Eliza smiles sweetly at the man. "I do not see how that is any of your business, Sir."

He sneered at her. "You're a disgrace to the Dawlish name!"

"Thank you, Sir. I'm glad I'm not like those I call my family!" Eliza turned away from him and smiled at Cedric.

Mr Diggory made his way over to them. "Is everything okay here?"

"It's quite alright." Eliza told him. Mr Diggory, Cedric and Eliza watched as the man stalked around the room.

"Walden Macnair." Mr Diggory said while pushing his glasses up. "Executioner for the ministry."

"He was a death eater?" Eliza asked him.

"He claimed he was under the Imperius Curse so he didn't get sent to Azkaban." Mr Diggory explained.

Eliza let out a laugh. "A lie."

Cedric tugged her hand and the couple made their way to the food table. "How did you know he was a death eater?"

She shrugged her shoulders at him. "I didn't. I just guessed." Eliza let out a sigh. "I recognised him and he mentioned my parents banquet." Cedric stared deeply at her. "And I know my parents were - are - death eaters."

He brought her closer to him and squeezed her tightly. "Don't worry El."

"It's just -" Eliza looked around to check no one was listening to their conversation. "My brother he sent me a letter that -"

They were interrupted by Mr Diggory shouting loudly. "It's nearly the new year!"

Everyone stood together in the middle room and shouted "Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three... Two... One..." Eliza and Cedric glanced at each other before sharing a kiss. "Happy new year!"

People started to chink their glasses together and Eliza was pulled away by Mrs Diggory. "Eliza, please can you help me with the cake?"

"Yeah, sure." Eliza replied as they walked into the kitchen and Mrs Diggory took a large cake out of the fridge. Eliza helped place candles into the cake while Mrs Diggory added frosting.

"I'm glad Cedric has someone like you." Mrs Diggory told her. "You're all he ever talks about even though he would deny it if you asked him!"

Eliza chuckled. "You have a great son!"

"We were so glad to finally meet you and see the girl he adores! At first we were a bit worried once we had learned your last name but when we learnt more about you and how you were nothing like your family and then we met you. You're the best influence on him too. You two are perfect together!"

"Thank you." Eliza told her.

Mrs Diggory muttered a charm and then suddenly the cake was levitating. Everyone in the living room cheered as it made it's way in. "It looks great!" "What a lovely cake!"

Eliza joined Cedric again by the back door. "Want to go out?" He asked her.

"I would love to." The two went out unnoticed by the party goers and went to sit down at the bottom of the garden.

"What did my mother want?" Cedric asked her.

"Well I helped her with the cake and she just spoke about how she was happy about finally meeting me and how you always talk about me." Eliza grinned at him.

"You are an amazing person Eliza Dawlish." She suddenly became silent. "What's wrong?"

"Your parents were worried when they first found out who I was." Eliza stared off into the distance. "Everyone seems to worry about who I am when they hear what my last name is."

"It doesn't matter what they think! And anyway whatever thoughts they have at first all change when they actually get to know you." Cedric told her.

"I know, I'm just fed up of constantly being judged because of my stupid family."

Cedric stared at her for a few moments. "What did the letter you brother send you say?"

Eliza chuckled to herself. "He warned me. He actually warned me."

"What did he warn you about?" Cedric asked suddenly becoming worried for her.

"He told me to be careful and beware the heir of Slytherin."

Eyes wide open and his mouth agape. "Eliza! Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I didn't know what he meant by it and then the chamber of secrets was opened and I was confused about how my brother knew about it and I didn't know what to do. And anyway how would my brother warning me help anyone!" Eliza started to stress out.

"I suppose that's true." Cedric told her.

"I think something bad is going to happen." Eliza admitted.

"People had been petrified!"

"Something worse then!"

"What makes you say that?"

"My parents banned me from the banquet, my brother sends a letter to me, the chamber of secrets being opened, and that man Macnair talking to me."

Cedric grabbed her hand. "You'll be alright! You're more than capable of looking after yourself and I'm always here."

"Thanks Ced."

"Happy New year Ellie." He whispered to her.

"Happy New Year Ceddie." She could feel Cedric's laughter as his body shook.

The two stayed sitting in the garden and watched as fireworks erupted in the distance and the stars glistened above them. And then when everyone went home the two went back to Cedric's room where they fell asleep in each other's arms.