Chapter Thirty-Four - The Great Hall

Dumbledore sent all the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall and about ten minutes later they were joined by students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. All of these students looked really confused as they sat down. "The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," Percy stood looking very proud of himself, "Send word with one of the ghosts. Oh, yes, you'll be needing this." With a flick of his wand, the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood against the walls, then the floors were covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags. "Sleep well." Dumbledore then closed the Great Hall doors.

The hall was immediately noisy, them all becoming excited, the Gryffindors then began to tell the rest of the school about what had happened. "Everyone into their sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

Eliza lay down in a sleeping bag next to Fred, hearing someone lie next to her she hoped it wasn't Cedric. The strong smell of aftershave made it's way into her nose and she recognised it to be the one from the potion. Looking over she saw that it was Oliver and she smiled at him out of relief. "Hi."

Oliver smiled at her, "Hello." The actions between them were both very small and as though they didn't know quite what to say. "Do you think Black is still in the castle?"

"Dumbledore still seems to think so." Eliza replied. "How on earth did he manage to get passed the dementors is what all I want to know."

"Maybe he apparated."

"The castle is enchanted so no one can apparate in." Eliza told Oliver.

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!" The candles all went out at once, the only light came from the ghosts and the enchanted ceiling which was scattered with stars.

"They'll get him." Oliver told her, "Don't worry El."

Eliza had the urge to tell him everything, but she knew that she couldn't, she had yet to tell anyone about the screams that she had been hearing constantly. "I'm going to try and fall asleep." Eliza told him.

"Goodnight El." Oliver told her.

It was around three that Eliza woke up with a start, she had heard the scream again, "Any sign of him, Professor?" Percy whispered.

"No. All well here?" She heard Dumbledore reply.

"Everything under control, sir."

"Good. There's no point moving them all now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."

"And the Fat Lady, sir?"

"Hiding in a map of Argyllshire on the second floor. Apparently she refused to let Black in without the password, so he attacked. She's still very distressed, but once she's calmed down, I'll have Mr. Filch restore her."

"Headmaster?" Snape said, "The whole of the third floor has been searched. He's not there. And Filch has done the dungeons; nothing there either."

"What about the Astronomy tower? Professor Trelawney's room? The Owlery?"

"All searched."

"Very well, Severus. I didn't really expect Black to linger."

"Have you any theory as to how he got in, Professor?"