Chapter Sixty-Six - End of Sixth Year

As Eliza walked into the Hall, she realised that instead of the winning House's decorations there were black drapes on the wall behind. It was a mark of respect to Cedric. 

Cedric.

He was dead.

Eliza and Cho shared a sad smile as they passed one and other. Oliver and the twins waited patiently at the Gryffindor table for her, all watching to see how she was. She sat down at the table next to Oliver and avoided eye contact with them all, she didn't want to see their pity. Oliver placed her hand in his and began to gently stroke it to try and comfort her.

She began to look around at the top table, she had heard that the real Mad-Eye Moody was there and he seemed to be even more agitated than usual, but that was too be expected. It would make you more jumpy if you had been kept locked up in trunk for nearly a year. Karkaroff's seat was empty while Madame Maxime was sat talking quietly to Hagrid. 

Everyone was already silent when Dumbledore began to speak to the students, "The end of another year." He paused as he looked at the Hufflepuff table, all of them seemed the most sad in the hall. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight, but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," He gestured over at the Hufflepuffs, "Enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory." 

The only sound in the hall was the scraping of the benches and then a low echo, "Cedric Diggory." Eliza glanced over at Oliver who gave her a small smile. 

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about." Eliza looked up, shocked that he was actually going to say it. "Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper was heard throughout the hall, students were staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, "The Ministry of Magic, does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

Everyone stared directly at him, no one even uttering a word, "There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedrics death. I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter." 

Murmurs were heard all throughout the hall, "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."

Dumbledore turned to Harry and raised his goblet once more and everyone in the Great Hall followed, his name was said just like Cedric's and they all sipped their drinks. 

Once everyone had sat back down, Dumbledore continued, "The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened - of Lord Voldemorts return - such ties are more important than ever before." He looked from Madame Maxime to Fleur Delacour, then to Viktor Krum and the Durmstrangs. "Every guest in this Hall, will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again - in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemorts gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.