Chapter 36

"Act like you're in pain, hurry!" Thayer whispers as we are walking down the hall towards the cafeteria

"Act like you're in pain, hurry!" Thayer whispers as we are walking down the hall towards the cafeteria. I look at him indifferently as he continues to give me 'that look' asking me to follow with what he's asking.

"Why woul-"

I didn't even get to finish my question when he suddenly kicked my legs a little bit harshly and I winced in pain, which is half true and half acting. I should get paid for this.

The nurse instantly looks at my side and asked me what's wrong as Thayer is being accompanied by his nurse towards the cafeteria but not before turning around looking at me with a smirk as he mischievously mouths a, "see you later."

✂------------------------------------------

"Well you should thank Thayer for that idea," I tell Mike as he sits himself down on the mini chair next to mine on the clinic. There aren't any patients around, so it's just me, Mike and the old lady nurse whom Mike called Lydia.

"Where is he by the way?" Mike asks as soon as the door swings open revealing Thayer and a nurse.

"There's your answer," I mutter quickly as Mike stands up straightening, pretending not to notice Thayer and I's presence. He turns to Lydia and they pretended to talk about something. I tried my hardest not to burst out laughing.

But then I figured, even if I laugh or not, they wouldn't care, I'm a mental patient anyway.

Once the nurse who assisted Thayer is out of sight, Mike immediately sits back down on the chair as well as Thayer. Lydia, on the other hand let us continue with whatever our business is as she sits down beside her desk a safe distance away from us.

And I'm truly grateful for her kindness and presence.

"Does she know?" Thayer asks Mike pertaining to Lydia. Mike looks at the old lady who is now adjusting her eyeglass.

"A bit of it," he then answers nodding.

"So what do we do now?" I ask getting back on the real topic at hand.

"I know a back door  leading out of the sanitarium," Mike starts, "I could get you two there, but it would require a long amount of time, efforts obviously, and a whole lot of hiding. It isn't that much isolated, meaning that there'd be some guards roaming around there. But we'll make it work."

"Good," Thayer replies, "maybe we could all meet up again here? Pretend that we're sick, because honestly, we're doing a whole lot of pretending inside this place nowadays just to meet up. So that wouldn't be a problem."

"Let's work on that," Mike adds, "We'll be doing that at maybe around 11 in the evening. But we certainly need to be really careful about this."

"So what's the whole, dissected plan?" I ask, hope lightning up inside my brain. I know it sounds easy when it is spoken, but it is much harder when you're really in the situation.

"The day before that," Mike trails off, "one of you should act like there's something wrong with your stomach or whatever. Lydia will help you in this clinic, and then the other one of you, I'd go to your room at midnight and then we'll start the plan."

"Sounds like a plan," Thayer says agreeing, I nodded too in approval.

"So when are we going to put this into action, exactly?" I ask again.

Mike looks at the both of us, "In two weeks. I know it is too long to wait, but there's just some things that I'm still trying to figure out. And plus, we still need to make sure that our plan is well polished before executing it, to avoid any discrepancies."

"What are you still working out on?" Thayer and I both asked in unison.

"It's... it's about your files," he answers truthfully.

"Oh," is all that I could manage to say. I don't think I ever care about my records anymore. I know, just like what Thayer and Mike both said, there's something wrong with it. But again, it is like my mind is already programmed to accept whatever was written in there. Real or not, I just simply lost interest at all.

"What's with her files?" Thayer asks looking at me and then onto Mike.

"I don't know much about it yet," he answers, "but I'll tell you once I figure it out."

"The plan is already settled, just a few polishing. Then what do we do once we succeed with it?" I once again asked trying to change the topic, "Dr. Jean and her son is our only 'enemies' right?"

"A-actually no," Mike answers. Thayer furrowed his brows in this and so did I.

"You mean, there's another people involved with this?" Thayer asks.

Mike just simply nods. I study his expression, and then my eyes landed onto his arms. The wounds that are there a few weeks back are starting to heal. I wonder what he must have gone through.

"Are they one of the people involved with your whipping?" I ask out of curiosity. It must have hit a wounded memory inside Mike because as soon as I asked about it, he looked distant, trying to erase the thought.

"Yes they are," he answers, "Dr. Meredith and another staff, Ethan."

"Wait, who's Ethan?" I ask in curiousity.

"Just some staff that is very loyal to them," Mike answers, "I don't know him that much."

"Dr. Meredith?" Thayer asks in a tone like he had just connected puzzle pieces together, "I knew there's something wrong with that woman."

"You know her?" this time Mike and I are the ones who asks both in unison. Thayer clears his throat and then tells us about the story of what had happened to his sister years ago. And it involved Dr. Meredith, who was then his sister's psychiatrist.

"This place is so twisted," Mike mutters more to himself.

"Why did you again decided to work here?" Thayer asks chuckling bitterly, not really asking for Mike's answer.

We're all silent for a few minutes. Except for the sound of our own breathing, and to Lydia's snore, who we found out had fallen asleep on her desk.

"Dr. Meredith owns this place," Mike announces after a few more moments of silence. Thayer and I both snap our heads into his direction.

I was about to ask something more but then I got interrupted by the sound of the doorknob twisting. The three of us all snapped our heads towards the direction of the door, and then looked at each other, obviously we're in trouble.

A few more twists and turn, and the door to the clinic opens revealing a woman, obviously a doctor, with a fair complexion and a similar hair color with mine. She looks at all the three of us with an unreadable twisted expression that later on turned into a smile of mischief.

"Dr. Meredith," Mike whispers, and I swear I'm ready to collapse onto the floor.